• Blur Faces on YouTube

YouTube recently announced a new censorship option for videos - you can automatically blur faces on any video you upload. This is a new feature and we shouldn't expect it to be perfect, but I decided to give it a try and see just how useful it is.

To use this option, go to your video manager page on YouTube. Click the Edit button next to the video you want to change. When you get to the edit page, click the Enhancements button. Underneath the video screen you'll see the option to blur faces.

The first limitation I saw is that you can only opt to blur all faces. There's no way to select individual faces to blur.

On applying the effect, the initial results seemed quite good. Faces were selected and blurred well. However it didn't take long before a few shots started showing up in which the blur wasn't quite adequate to hide the identity of the person. Then I started seeing shots where the blur wasn't applied at all. It seems that the blur effect runs into trouble with any angles that aren't relatively front-on. See the examples here:

In summary, this blur effect looks promising but I don't think it's an option for most videos just yet. At this stage you'll still need to rely on good old manual editing for most videos. We have a short tutorial on how to blur faces here.
    Subscribe to us on YouTube
    html xmlns=