RIP Margaret Moth
by, 22nd Mar 2010 at 02:01 (22276 Views)
Internationally renowned photojournalist Margaret Moth (Wikipedia page) has died of cancer aged 59.
- She initially wanted to be a mechanic but could not get an apprenticeship.
- Instead she became New Zealand's first female television news camera operator.
- Wanted to change her name to Tiger Moth but wasn't allowed.
- Covered the Persian Gulf War, the rioting that followed Indira Gandhi's assassination, the civil war in Tbilisi, Georgia, and the war in Sarajevo.
- Almost killed (and lost much of her face) when she was shot in the face covering the war in Sarajevo in 1992.
- A fearless skydiver and an enthusiastic bell ringer.
Quote: Margaret Moth