Should I go to college to learn to be a professional voiceover actor?

I heard people can be successful in voice acting career without going to college. I also heard the opportunity cost of going to college is too high and not worth it. I also believe that going to college may give me a headway and connection I need to get started. I believe all of the above are true. Would you care to share your failure/success experience or the successful stories of how they made it?

Thanks,

Blog Entries
    Quote: FullTimeAuditioner
    View Post
    I heard people can be successful in voice acting career without going to college. I also heard the opportunity cost of going to college is too high and not worth it. I also believe that going to college may give me a headway and connection I need to get started. I believe all of the above are true. Would you care to share your failure/success experience or the successful stories of how they made it?
    There are COUNTRIES of impoverish people who would die for such an opportunity for an education. Is your voice so distinct? Are you so well read and can switch your emotions around in a blink, that you would be hired tomorrow? If yes, then go for it. If not, get the class that will train you in your field. This is the era of education, without it what will you do in dry times when you can't get the gig you want.

I totally understand that there are many successful people who do so little and get so much. Whatever you see and/or read, these people are an exception, they are not the rule. For every 1 successful person, there are thousands that are struggling with their lives because of not getting the right break, not getting an education, not knowing the right person etc. I want to make sure you understand that point - one person is being highlighted for their success, yet there are thousands of heartfelt struggling stories that will never be heard.

I had specialized in my field before I finished college. I may have been working for a short time, but my problem was, I didn't get any smarter, I gained experience, in lieu of an education. My job didn't last long enough and when I was ready to try out other jobs, I lacked my degree - there I was back to square one. Lucky for me, I was able to get an accredited vocational class for my field, which I don't think is being offered any more.

If you went to college and got your degree, you could still pursue the career you want because even if you're not successful there, your degree will open more doors for you than without it.
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.