Blog Entries

Creating video with timecode at 300 fps

Today I had a request to create a timecode video clip at 300 frames per second. I've previously made a bunch of downloadable timecode clips at various standard frames rates but I can't think of any way to do it at higher rates.

I used Premiere Pro but as far as I can see there's no way to work with frame rates higher than 60fps. After Effects maxes out at 99fps although I've seen some workarounds to get more. In theory I could make something at 30 fps with the idea of expanding it out to 300fps but I still can't see any practical way to add 300 fps timecode.

I'm thinking that it's not doable but I thought I'd throw it out there to see if anyone has any bright ideas.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Blog Entries
    Hi Dave -
    I'm thinking it can't be done video wise. It's more in the realm of high speed camera film capture.

I've seen a few cable tv shows, when they were filming what happens with bullets and various items. Artistically, it was stunning, scientifically it was amazing but how much of a showing can you do the effects of a bullet on any type of subject. They all look the same after a while.

Even if you showed 300 fps, your showing it real time, so whatever happens is just in the blink of an eye.
    At best, you would only be able to use the Key Code on the edge of film for a reference. It would have to be seen in slo-mo or regular tv frame rate, to see what actually happens, then you can do your TC.

Regards
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

Blog Entries
    Thanks. I'm not actually sure what they wanted the timecode for but it's apparently some technical application in which they need to identify each of the 300 frames per second. I think I'll put it in the too-hard basket.

I agree with you about how those slo-mo videos all start to look the same after a while. There's still lots of creative examples out there but it's losing the wow factor now that so many more people can do it.

As an aside I've had some fun with Twixtor. Although it's obviously not the same as real high-speed footage it is fun.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com