Cross transition not applied?

Hello

I am trying to apply a 'cross dissolve' transition in Premiere Pro 5.5.

I have cut the clip in two - there are ample frames on either side of the cut - and dragged the transition to the cut. I have set the transition to 6 seconds but in the 'monitor' panel I cannot see the images/frames emerging or fading into one another.

I can't seem to upload attachments here, so:

http://www.proofreading4students.com/FrameA.jpg

http://www.proofreading4students.com/FrameB.jpg

FrameA shows the state of play at the very end of the 'before' frame, and the other attachment shows the state of play one frame later. As you can see, there is no transition - yet one is applied.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Blueie

Blog Entries
    Just to clarify, please check that I understand this right: You started with a single clip that had two (or more) different shots within that clip. Instead of cutting from one shot to the next you want a dissolve. So you razored the clip at the point of the cut, then applied a transition.

Assuming I've got that right, the problem is that you haven't allowed for "handles" at the start & end of the clips. It's a tricky thing to explain so I made a page for it:
    How to split a video and add transitions in Premiere Pro

Short answer: In your case you need to cut 3 seconds from the end of the first clip and 3 seconds from the start of the second clip. Then close the gap and apply the transition.

I'm still not convinced that my explanation is clear so I thought a video would be a good idea. Then I thought it would make sense to do a slightly more general video about handles, so I've put it on my to-do list and I'll post a reply here when it's done.

In the meantime I can try to answer any more questions.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Hello Dave

Thank you for your reply.

Your tutorial worked a treat! I have struggled with this transition for hours! Thanks for explaining it clearly!

Great.

Blue

Blog Entries
    No worries, glad you got it sorted

BTW you should be able to upload images now. Sorry about that hassle.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com