Blog Entries

MLB umpires work with 19-inch SD TVs

Deadspin has an article looking at the poor state of video equipment available for Major League Baseball's umpires. It makes for depressing reading and you've got to feel for the poor umpires. Imagine having to make a critical game call knowing that almost everyone else except you is seeing the replay in decent quality HD, while you're stuck with a 19" standard definition TV.

According to the article it's all about sponsorship money. Having worked in sports television I know there are probably other factors too. Dumb decisions behind the scenes are relatively common in TV but this particular failure to provide adequate monitoring seems extreme.

This is all assuming the facts are as stated - Deadspin was unable to confirm that this old equipment is still in use, only that it was introduced in 2008, it apparently hasn't been updated and league officials won't talk about it.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Blog Entries
    But I'm willing to bet almost all of the Executives have HDTV!
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

Blog Entries
    True! I can just imagine some executive watching the game on a brand new 60" HD screen, criticizing the ump's call while forgetting whose fault it is that the ump can't see what he's supposed to be ruling on.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com