Thread: Plasma display

Plasma display

I work for a college in TN, and we have decided to install a 42+ in. plasma monitor in our main lobby as a point of commuincations with our campus. I have inadvertently become a middle man on the project, but my question is simple. Should we do what our IT department wants, and just use html and javascript to program the "announcements" that way, or should we invest in a more stimulating application like media shout and implement animated backgrounds, video feeds, audio, more MTV generation communication? The latter means more work for me, which my boss isn't happy about, so I am considering developing a presentation, and selling it to the school as freelance work. If I do that, what is a fair price to put on the work (presumably 10-15 man hours of labor here)?

Blog Entries
    Quote: bcstonemi
    I work for a college in TN, and we have decided to install a 42+ in. plasma monitor in our main lobby as a point of commuincations with our campus. I have inadvertently become a middle man on the project, but my question is simple. Should we do what our IT department wants, and just use html and javascript to program the "announcements" that way, or should we invest in a more stimulating application like media shout and implement animated backgrounds, video feeds, audio, more MTV generation communication?
    Which department bought it and who is responsible for it? HTML and all other programs are out there and available immediately. To do video type announcements requires a production setup and much more time for planning. Actually if it's possible, to do both - why not?!? Phase 1 could be just the text program announcements. Phase 2 could be the more exciting announcements MTV style. OR it could be an accomodating blend - kind of like news flashes!
    Quote: bcstonemi
    ....what is a fair price to put on the work (presumably 10-15 man hours of labor here)?
    I have nothing against wages but (just as a suggestion) consider the possibility of finding a student to do the job for nothing in exchange for their name to be seen as the creator of the content - it's a way for them to have a portfolio. Or some sort of other agreeable ends that is non-financial.
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

Blog Entries
    I agree with SC358.

I would start with HTML, because:
    - It's relatively easy and safe.
    - No big investment to risk going sour.
    - It's a common platform, people already know how to use it.
    - It's compatible with most common media formats.

In fact I would think about staying with HTML and building on it. HTML can form the basis of a complete multi-media environment which can utilize almost any other media type. For example, you could make presentations with Flash or Quicktime and add them to the existing HTML presentation. This way you can solicit all sorts of material from different sources and integrate them with relative ease. Or you could experiment yourself with different formats without having to commit to any of them.

HTML also has the advantage of merging seamlessly with the Internet, so you could source material directly that way. You can also send your presentation to any computer with a browser.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Blog Entries
    One other thing... if HTML/Javascript is what your IT department wants, I think it makes a lot of sense to work with them if you can. Keep them happy and you'll be a happy chappy yourself .
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Thanks

Thanks for the info. We decided to go with what you suggested, and start out with HTML and Java script. I do have one more question though, as a recent Computer Science graduate myself, I'm looking to expand my personal portfolio to make myself more marketable. I have worked with FLASH a litlle, and was wandering if you could recommend a good starting point in terms of training material. I'm willing to invest some money here, because I think there could be descent dividends if I learn how this works. Thanks again for the help!

Blog Entries
    The best place to start is probably the official Flash Developer Centre:
    http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/flash/

Flashkit is also a good resource:
    http://www.flashkit.com

Flash is great - have fun
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com