Thread: 8mm/Hi8

8mm/Hi8

I'm not the leader of the pack. My old 35mm's will do things that only a very high dollar Digital SLR with do, and do it with out eating battries.
    Audo cassettes are still around, both being still made and sold. I plan on buying a used Sharp. Would you recommend the 8mm or the Hi8, or are they really the same? Thanks, Bob

Blog Entries
    If you really want to go this way, Hi8 is definitely superior. I used this format myself for quite a while and it's good quality compared to other analogue formats.

I must reiterate what I said in your other thread though - I honestly think this is not a good idea. There are lots of issues with obsolete equpment; for example, analogue tapes are getting hard to buy and you'll soon find yourself using old tapes and compromising on quality there. I only say this because you indicated you are concerned about quality. Digital formats are so much better quality it's not funny.

You don't have to be "leader of the pack" to go digital - it's the standard way everyone is going. It's been around for quite a while now and the lower end of the market is very affordable. There are plenty of second-hand digital cameras available. If you go analogue you're not racing in the same pack at all, and IMO it will end up costing you more time and money than taking the plunge and doing it right now.

Anyway, just my opinion. As I say, Hi8 was the better format back in the days when it mattered and will certainly be better than 8mm.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com