Want to edit video from dvd handicam on my computer!

I rec'vd the Sony dcr-dvd 92 (DVD-R dvd/rw camera) : as a gift. I use it for personel (family) home videos. I would like to be able to save the dvd files to my computer, edit them in a program, and then burn them to a full sized DVD/R. I purchased Adobe Premiere elements, and it seems as though I cannot do it on this program. It says that this program is everything you need to edit and make home videos on dvd. Am I crazy, or am I missing something here. It looks like the format isn't supported. Is there better software out there. The one thing with the old hi-8 is you could rewind part of a scene, and start taping over it. Once in a while I get a precious moment,where the end of the clip needs to be taken off or audio needs to be changed.(when someone in the backround is insulting a family member that you would eventually like to show this clip to... ) The dvd handicam recorder allows you to remove the entire scene, but not part of it. I would like to be able to edit part of it out without loosing the whole thing. Just take the best of the clips...HELP!

Blog Entries
    Unfortunately I think you have discovered what a lot of people are complaining about - DVD camcorders like the DCRDVD92 are not good for editing. I've never used this one myself but I believe quite a few people have had editing troubles with it.

DVD camcorders are a compromise.

On the plus side the convenience of recording straight to DVD is nice.

On the other hand DVD is not an ideal format to edit. It is designed to be a delivery format, not an aquisition format. What I mean is that DVD is supposed to be the end product, after you've finished editing. It's not really the best format to record in, especially if you want to edit footage.

Adobe Elements is a good consumer-level editing program, perfectly suitable for the type of work you want to do. The problem is that it doesn't expect to get a file like the one your DVD camcorder is using. It expects a more edit-friendly format like DV from a MiniDV camcorder. Even Premiere Pro doesn't import DVD files directly.

Having said this, I wonder how software manufacturers are going to respond to the new wave of DVD camcorders. I think they will introduce easier DVD-import options.

Anyway... I understand that your camera saves files with a .VOB extension. Try changing the file extension to .mpg and see if Adobe Elements will import it.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Thank You

I will definately try this, and see how it goes. Is that done on the camera? I cannot find the option in the menu. I am very dissapointed with this news. I figured there was already software out there for this purpose. Oh well. I'll find a way. I always do! Thank you very nuch for your help!
    Last edited by forkeaps; 19th Aug 2005 at 14:08.

Blog Entries
    Your absolutely right Dave. This new product is also a double edge sword. I think it's great that the use of dvd format on a camera has been finally made.

It's not just a twist in the scheme of things, to me, it's looking more like a knot. The camera will probably do well at the consumer level but won't get anywhere else unless the file format changes to be editor friendly or soup de jour media file. Aside from using it for home movies, how else could it be used except for more Bootleg movies? This is just my opinion but I think there's going to be cascading issues around this re-purposing media.

SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

Blog Entries
    Quote: forkeaps
    Is that done on the camera? I cannot find the option in the menu.
    No, you'll need to copy the files to your hard drive and then do it. Good luck.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

file extension

How do you change a file extension? I don't see a place to do that. Any help would be grateful!
    Thank you again...
    Kristi

Blog Entries
    Copy the file to your hard drive.
    Right-click the file and select Rename.
    Delete the vob part of the file name and replace it with mpg.

If you have any problems, tell us the exact error message you see. It may be possible that you have to change the file from read-only but we'll cross that bridge if/when it comes.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

file extention

My video files are titled without the .vob. they just say vts_02_1

Should I add the .mpg after it??? You have been a huge help. Thank you for your time. Is there any support for this website? Donations...etc?

Blog Entries
    Ahh, good point about the extension not showing. Tell you what, I think this task is worthy of a tutorial page so I've made a page just for you . Tell me if this makes sense:
    http://www.mediacollege.com/microsof...on-change.html

As for support and donations, absolutely! See the following page for details (you can also get to this page from the "Help us" link on the home page). Thank you in advance for any help you can offer:
    http://www.mediacollege.com/home/support.html
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com