Panasonic PV-DV701 to Computer Questions

I have a Panasonic PV-DV701 mini DV camera (have for several years now) and am now to the point where I wish to transfer video from the camcorder to the computer. The cable I currently have has a 4-pin connector for the camera which I believe is iLink or Firewire and a USB connector at the other end. As this is too slow to transfer video, I want to output video using a Firewire cable but I cannot determine if the camcorder is compatible with that.

Does anyone know if it will work? If so, does it require a IEEE1394 driver like the driver that is used for the USB port? Will Windows XP Media Center automatically recognize the camera.

Also, is Windows Movie Maker sufficient for beginning video transferring and editing or is it worth the money to upgrade to Pinnacle right away?

In addition to these questions, I noticed that although I got the drivers installed and the camera working in Windows via the Panasonic Movie software, Windows Movie Maker would still not recognize the device even though it was on. I was wondering what the problem might be there and if I can expect that to be an issue if I am able to switch to Firewire.

Sorry for the long post. Any help is appreciated.

Blog Entries
    Yes, the PV-DV701 does have a Firewire output and this will be the best way to transfer video.

Are you sure it's USB at the other end? If so then it's a converter cable because you can't output Firewire directly to USB without converting it. What you want is a simple Firewire cable from the camcorder to the Firewire port in the computer. If luck is on your side, Windows will automatically recognise the camcorder.

Windows Movie Maker is just a toy really. It's okay to see how some of the basic concepts work but it will quickly frustrate you. Have a good look around at different editing packages and find something better. I know people who like Pinnacle but check out Adobe Elements, Adobe Premiere and Ulead VideoStudio as well.

I've heard lots of stories about Windows Movie Maker not recognising cameras. I don't know exactly what the problem is in your case but I wouldn't panic. Two of the most certain things are that you want Firewire and you don't want Windows Movie Maker, so hopefully it won't be an issue
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com