Thread: Film ASA

Film ASA

May I confirm whether film speed (ASA, ISO) affects sharpness of image in cinematography ? I have heard high ASA film (e.g 500 ASA film) tends to produce soft or out of focus shots than slower ASA film (e.g 64 ASA film). I do not accept this 'theory'. What say you, anyone ? Thanks.

Blog Entries
    Higher film speeds do have a larger grain than those of a lower speeds. Since there is less number of grains due to size, there is also less resolution, so the picture is not as sharp. Slower speed films can make finer details more visible.
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

Film ASA

Dear SC 358,
    TQ so much for the xplanation. Will the 'softness' or 'resolution' result till the stage of 'out of focus' if it is only projected to 2x3 mters screen ? Sorry for this further clarification.

Blog Entries
    No problem!

To the untrained eye and without anything to compare to, the viewed picture should look normal. A subject that is not in the proper focused depth of field of the lens will appear naturally out of focus. With that said, you shouldn't have much to worry about unless the picture is grossly out of focus.

Hope this helps.
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

Film ASA

Dear SC 358
    TQ so much. Will get u again if I need anything again.

hi there, could someone help me with this.
    "Give an example, in ASA, of a fast film."
    cheers