GY-HD100 vs SONY HVR-Z1

Please could anyone help me which one to decide, I have the specifications of both camcorders but I need some advice which camcorder have more advantages?

Blog Entries
    The biggest difference appears to be that the JVC GY-HD100 is 720p whereas the HVR-Z1 is 1080i, and this is what you'll probably base your decision upon.

If you're not sure about the differences, do a search for "1080i vs. 720p". Make sure you read plenty of articles because there's a lot of personal opinion and bias in this debate.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Hi Dave,

You really helped me a lot as you usualy do to the people in need, one think I haven't clear, I saw different opinions so that made me a little bit undecided but anyways I would like your final thought, let's say you're trying to buy one of these camcorders which one you would have it?

I read on the internet that the ones who're interested to shoot sport than 720p it's better, but I'm interested in shooting Documentaries, video cilps and such thinks.

I appreciate your effort to help me out.
    best regards

Blog Entries
    I was hoping you wouldn't ask that!

I'm undecided about HD. I've never used it myself but the TV channel I work for is going HD-compatible within the next year. I was basically waiting until then to form an opinion on the best HD format.

At this stage I think I prefer progressive scanning (eg 720p), but that's because it handles motion well and I work with a lot of motion shots. I've also been frustrated that 24/25/30 frames per second is too jerky and I believe the next generation of formats should address this issue.

If you are shooting mainly talking-heads and still shots then the 1080i (interlaced) format might be more your thing.

On the face of it, more lines of resolution is always good so it's a shame that 720p only has pretty much the same number of lines I already use (PAL), so not much gain there. Frankly I'm hoping something like 1080p (at 60 fps) becomes the standard.

Anyway, I digress. The short answer is that without a lot of research I can't say which is the best camera between the HVR-Z1 and the GY-HD100. I would usually go for a Sony, but I do like the look of the GY-HD100's interchangeable lenses and 720p would suit me better at the moment.

Anyone else got some comments on this?
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Blog Entries
    Hi koku,
    You'll really have to decide where you will be taking your final product. What is your final goal? I think either 720P or 1080I looks great when your viewing with the proper equipment and under the proper conditions. Will you be finalizing the show yourself or are you just a hired shooter? If your just shooting then just buy the best you can afford. If your finalizing, then you have other equipment that has to be considered as part of the process.

Don't know if I was any help but good luck anyway...

SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

I really appreciate your help, I already decided which one.

So, Dave I'll let you know then how JVC 720p works, at least you can picture out.

Thanks SC358 too.

best regards