Matrox AXIO vs Final Cut pro

What are the differences between Axio and Final Cut pro regarding to HD editing?

Which of two systems have more power to work real-time?

And is Final Cut pro software based editing or same as Matrox card based editing?

I would appreciate your help, I really need coz I'm in crossroad I don't know which one to choose.

Blog Entries
    As you alluded to, Final Cut Pro is a software package while Axio is hardware which comes bundled with Premiere Pro (the software). You can get Matrox products to go with FCP as well though.

The most obvious difference is that FCP is Mac-only and Premiere is PC-only. Most likely that will make the decision for you. If you have a PC, you'll go with Premiere. If you have a Mac, go with FCP.

Both packages handle HD but I'm afraid I can't give you a first-hand account of how well they compare in this department.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Some more Help?

Dear Dave,
    Thanks very much for your reply, some additional infos my concern was that how can be possible regarding to they advertisement FCP can work real-time without any added video card such as matrox and Premiere to work with HD needs a Video editing card?

Lastly, can you help me out to find out how can I build un a system using FCP and Matrox Axio for instance? coz I was using a PC with Premiere but I'm very interested to migrate into FCP always using Matrox.

Kind regards

Blog Entries
    I'm hoping a Matrox user might be able to step in here and make sure I'm not getting this wrong, but anyway....

I don't think the Matrox Axio is compatible with Macs. I believe Matrox RTMac is the product you'd be looking for if you want Matrox/Final Cut Pro. You can find documentation at the Matrox site: http://www.matrox.com/video/support/rtmac/docs/home.cfm
    They also have support forums which you could visit but there's not much activity there.

To be honest I don't know much about Premiere's HD capabilities but I do know that it is HD-capable without extra hardware and Adobe will quickly move to plug any gaps. In fact a free plug-in is already available which appears to offer real-time HD capabilities: http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/hdv.html

I honestly believe Adobe will work very hard to keep Premiere as compatible with HD as Final Cut Pro. Even if there is a difference in performance at the moment, it won't last long. I would make any decisions based more on the long-term assumption that FCP and Premiere will both handle HD equally well (more or less).
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Bernard
    The main difference between Axio and FCP is that Axio provides realtime finishing quality playback while FCP provides you with realtime previews. With FCP, you need to render all, but the most basic stuff. With Axio, you can stack multiple layers of complex effects and print directly to tape without spending a single second of rendering.

When working with HD material, this is a huge benefit.

Cheers,

BL