Chris

Frequency response HELP!

Hello, I am a college student who is interested in doing some experimentation with certain frequencies that ellicit certain moods and emotions. Where would I be able to obtain some info on which frequencies have been tested on people already and which emotions were brought out by other frequencies. Any info for place to find some info would help greatly. Thank you.
    -Chris

Blog Entries
    The only frequencies I know of that have been proven to affect human emotions are in the infrasound range (20Hz and below). This is the range of sounds too low for humans to hear, and has been responsible for creating unease and fright in people. I believe they can also create visual disturbances by vibrating the eyeball, which could be responsible for some ghost sightings (a combination of visual disturbance and emotional unease).

I know other frequencies have also been said to have emotional effects but I don't know of any research or solid evidence.

Anyway, try searching for things like "infrasound research" and see what you come up with.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Blog Entries
    Dave -
    20KHz and below?? Are your numbers right? That's our range of hearing but maybe as low as 25Hz...
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

Blog Entries
    Oops, typo I meant 20 Hz (hertz)
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Your're In Luck

yeah that sounds about right. I remember that 8hz is rumored as the "brown note" but there is none as 8Hz just is annoying and played loud enough it just makes you nervous and anxious nad fearful. But you are in luck, I recently used a frequency generator to create a 50 second log sweep that is from 8hz to 19Khz and when i first listened to it, I dont know why but all of a sudden, I started panicing at about 1khz and I just was so nervous and anxious by 8khz that I had to stop it it was so annoyong, it might have been cuase I had it too loud but I dont know. Right now I cant seem to get the mp3 settings right to make it small enough to upload it to this server but I will add it as son as possible. Hope this is able to help once I can get the sweep uploaded.. and yeah I just got it on so feel free to listen to this sweep but PLEASE listen to it at a low voume level and then gradually crank it up unless you're in a controlled situation such as an experiment becuase I have just lIstened to it myself and I dont want to upset any medical problems you may have so please BE CAREFUL!!! But other than that, please let me know how it affects you guys when you listen ito it and have fun! I hope this helps chris!!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by andrewr; 13th Sep 2005 at 02:12.

Blog Entries
    I know I'm not deaf so I must be immune to tone sweep - especially at 1KHz. I do agree that it's annoying when listening for a long time... like several minutes. For my own purposes, I'm comfortable to work with 400 & 700 Hz tone when checking for continuity purposes. At the really low end 50Hz and lower, it's hard to hear because you need a really good speaker and amp to get those coils moving.

I believe everything vibrates and if you get the right frequency of the subject, the resonance would be irritating enough drive them crazy. The catch (if there is one) would be that one frequency may not do it. It may be a multiple complex wave. I always thought with right frequency and amplification, a tall building could tumble down.

There was an old Memorex commerical where the singer, Ella Fitzgerald sang a note and shattered a wine or champagne glass. Supposedly the gimmick was that the playback of the tape could duplicate the same result and thus the slogan, "Is it live? Or is it Memorex?" came about. Am I revealing my age on this one??

SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.