Transparent image changes in Pagemaker

Hi folks

I followed a tutorial on this site for creating a transparent background in Photoshop - something I often need but just have not had much luck. I took our company logo, followed the instructions and ended up with a very nice logo on a transparent background. However, once I saved it as a Tiff, (and DID NOT flatten it, so it would retain transparency) - I dropped it into my Pagemaker document, and there is the darn white box around it again! I use Pagemaker 6.5 and I'm wondering if this is a problem with the program. I also tried opening the logo in Illustrator and saving it as an EPS, but that did not fix the problem either. It looks transparent until you put it into something else - which is not much use to me. Any ideas folks? I could sure use your help as I'm working on an Annual Report! Ali

Anita
    I am not so good in Photoshop but Someone told me to save the file as psd so it will retains the transparency. I've used many time in InDesign and Ilustrator and works very well.

Quote: alibarrick
    Hi folks

I followed a tutorial on this site for creating a transparent background in Photoshop - something I often need but just have not had much luck. I took our company logo, followed the instructions and ended up with a very nice logo on a transparent background. However, once I saved it as a Tiff, (and DID NOT flatten it, so it would retain transparency) - I dropped it into my Pagemaker document, and there is the darn white box around it again! I use Pagemaker 6.5 and I'm wondering if this is a problem with the program. I also tried opening the logo in Illustrator and saving it as an EPS, but that did not fix the problem either. It looks transparent until you put it into something else - which is not much use to me. Any ideas folks? I could sure use your help as I'm working on an Annual Report! Ali

Ali Barrick

Still no luck putting transparent images in Pagemaker!

Hi Anita & any others that might have comments...

I tried Anita's suggestion of saving the image in Photoshop as a PSD file rather than a Tiff, but unfortunately, Pagemaker does not recognize PSD files. This is just so darn frustrating as I only work in Pagemaker. Does anyone else have a suggestion or do I need to get onto Quark!

Storm Grafx

Transparency Issue

Here is an overview of the issue and a form of "solution"on Adobe's website:

http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/331220.html

This is more of a work around to the issue, but if it works that is great. Hopefully it the one bit preview will not be the only way it works for you though.
    Good luck, and I hope this helps.

Kim
    In photoshop, create a clipping path to create a transparency, then save as a .tif

Place the .tif file and Pagemaker 6.5 will recognize the path.

Louise
    Hi Ive been having the same problem but in quark.

After hours, and I mean hours of trying Ive found a solution

Have your image on one layer, select the image and delete the background so that its transparent (do not flatten the image)

Next invert the selection so you have your image selected and not the transparent area.

Click on the path box and select "make work path" tolerance 0.5

Next save the path and make sure it says path1 and not none

Next select clipping path and once again make sure "path 1" is selected and click ok.

Now save as a tiff and click on.

When the next box comes up click on the transparent check box and then click ok.

Open in quark as normal and the white box from hell should not be there.

I hope this is of some help