Thread: Upgrade to 3ccd

Upgrade to 3ccd

I recently shot a wedding using sony single ccd cameras. It was a friends wedding and I didnt charge anything. I enjoyed the experience enough to consider seeking paying jobs. It is painfully obvious that my current equipment is unacceptable. Im looking for advise in camera and accsesory selection as I begin looking for equipment that will provide quality expected by paying customers. Cost is an issue however I have accepted that this will be a costly venture.

I am seriously considering the Sony VX2000. Critisicm of this camera for shooting weddings and alternatives is what I'm looking for.
    Last edited by Qtip; 23rd Sep 2005 at 16:15.

Blog Entries
    The VX2000 is a fine camera, well-suited to this sort of work. 3 CCDs are certainly better than one (all other things being equal) but there are probably more important things to worry about.

You will also need a good tripod and probably a couple of microphones. Depending on how you plan on shooting, you might want multiple cameras (I think it's a good idea).

We have a few simple wedding video tips which may be some use, but we really need to add more content for advanced users.

I think the big thing with weddings is experience. There's a lot of things that can go wrong and it takes a while to come across them all. The biggest mistake I see in this field is people calling themselves professional wedding videographers before they are ready. I recommend doing at least half a dozen for free or cost.

Editing software is also a big issue. Doing a professional editing job is expected so you need to be able to compete with others.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Blog Entries
    I've expanded the wedding tutorial to a few more pages. It's still relatively basic but there's a fair bit more content now. When I get a chance I'll add more information and some pictures. I might even get out some of our old wedding videos and include some examples from them.

Any tips from professional wedding videographers would be welcome.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Jim Mertins

Owner - CM Communications

Equipment is really a small part of shooting effective weddings. I've been shooting for years and done hundreds. You can do a wonderful job shooting a wedding with the $300 camcorder if you know what to shoot, how to shoot it and how to interact in a positive way with people. Experience with people is the key. Concentrate on the elements, first, the PEOPLE. They are the wedding video..Reactions, smiles, close-ups of what's happening ex: the sliding on or rings. The HD cam or the Hi-8 will both get you there, if you develop the "eye" and the passion! Don't rely on the equipment to make the video, rely on your eye and your heart!!

LisaD

Re: Upgrade to 3ccd

Yes a good eye is necessary and of course filming the right things but a lot can be said for having quality equipment. If you intend on branching out and shooting more wedding videos as possibly a career, then investment in a quality camera would be a good start. Sony, Panasonic and Canon make some great prosumer cameras that aren't too expensive but give great pictures and look professional, more so than a home camcorder.