Using Female Disconnects to Connect a 1/4" Stereo Plug.

Anyone see problems with using female disconnects to connect to the tabs [ordinarily a soldered connection] on a 1/4" Plug? The only problem I can really foresee might stem from a loose connection on a tab due to a loose fit. This probably could promptly be fixed with pliers.

GeneK

Blog Entries
    Hi GeneK,
    You're absolutely right! That's the reason why there is no female disconnect tabs on the connector to begin with. Properly soldering the connection would be the best solution as it was meant to be done.
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

Thanks for the Reply.

Quote: SC358
    Hi GeneK,
    You're absolutely right! That's the reason why there is no female disconnect tabs on the connector to begin with. Properly soldering the connection would be the best solution as it was meant to be done.
    I appreciate your reply with which I agree except that female disconnects exactly fit (in most cases) the male tab connectors on the back of 1/4" Stereo Plugs. My inquiry stemmed from an acquaintance question to which my original answer was that if there was a firm fit with the disconnects and no sparks flew when sound was applied plus no discernable sound difference [human ears not instruments] occured, I saw no real problem. I am not a professional so I thought I might see if anyone else thought differently.
    Please look at my previous question. In my area, so called prime speaker wire is getting expensive. When asked that question, I replied that if you already have or can buy stranded electrical wire cheaper then that is what I would use. Copper wire is copper wire and electrical wire insulation generally is much better plus you can avoid the use of tinned copper, aluminum, or even steel wire on the neutral (cold) connection.
    Like another poster, I avoid the high priced gold plated super insulated oxygen free copper [whatever that is] stuff.
    GeneK

Blog Entries
    These special connectors are fine for short term useage (even in untraditional situations). However, in the long term, a connection that is not crimped (or soldered) is subject to oxidation and moisture which degrades the signal (and over a long time eventually turns to rust). In addition, the connection has a tendency to contract and expand slightly which evenutally loosens up the mating pair.

In regards to speaker wire, I also found that 2 wire electrical cable works as well as a substitute. When cutting corners, you really have to know where to cut...
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.