Blog Entries

At last.... Video iPod

The rumours have been realised - the video iPod is here.

http://www.apple.com/hotnews/

http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/ptech/1....ap/index.html
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Blog Entries
    Hi ya Dave!
    When I think about this new gadget, I just see it as a fad or maybe it's just the beginning of something new. Watching video requires some attention to be spent. How can a screen so small be joyous? It's taken a lot of effort to make the big hard drives smaller but that's probably the more important part of the technology, not just the screen.

I see the video I-Pod more as a tool: a salesperson going around to show a (potential?) client something on video; or being coupled to camera; or downloading info from a wireless hotspot; or family photo/video album (imho, a cd would be better to give away)... anyway, you probably get the gist of my point.
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

Blog Entries
    My track record is poor when it comes to predicting winners and fads. I thought videophones would be a big hit 10 years ago, and I once famously said people would get bored with rap music and it wouldn't last more than two years. So I'm probably not the best person to talk to about predictions.

FWIW, I do think a big part of the video iPod's future lies in content. If Apple can podcast TV episodes for less than $2 the day after they are broadcast, I think they have a winner. From the rumblings I've heard, people are more excited by the idea of easily-available content than the portable video technology itself. A recent cnn.com article focused mostly on the possibility of replaying Desperate Housewives on the way to work - it didn't talk much about things like screen size at all.

I also agree that the professional market has a lot of potential. I've seen a few portable video hard drives but none have become hugely popular. It would be interesting to see if the iPod can make a mark in this arena.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com