Thread: DVCam tape

DVCam tape

I've found that our small station's JVC can handle Sony DVCam tape. It's a JVC DV5100 that takes mini-dv or dv. I like the dv better for it's handling and I think it's a little better resolution although that might just be my subjective impression.

Question: There's DVCam with ME or metal evaporated and metal particle. What's the difference and will I hurt our camera if I choose one or the other?

Blog Entries
    Think of metal tape as a premium high end tape. It won't hurt any equipment, if it cannot record or playback. Any piece of equipment that can use ME tapes can also use standard oxide tapes but if there is no statement, then it can only record/playback oxide only. Metal tapes tend to be a bit more robust than regular oxide tapes which explains the higher price.

You may have to (or want to) experiment with different manufacturers, brands and grades to find the best match for your equipment.

IMHO, it's ok to use in some cases but not necessary in others.
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

DVCam tape

Thanks. I'll check the instruction manual, although I believe it specifies JVC tape (natually).

Matt

Blog Entries
    I know that manufacturers of equipment that also sell their brand of tape, usually bias the recorder for the best recording (for that tape) - that way it doesn't do so well with other brands. If it's home videos, then the difference is negligible. If it's prosumer/broadcast then I would suggest to follow the manufacturer's specification. If cost is an issue then buy the best that you can afford. As I said before, you'll have to experiment.
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.