Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

time code in video editing

I would like to post a question. Using Adobe Premiere I have captured some 30 minutes video using my Canopus DV Storm via firewire and while capturing I have forgotten to display the timecode which my customer wanted to imprint on the video. My question is whether any possibility to imprint the timecode on my video now. Please note that I have erased my DV tape in which the 30 minutes footage was there.

Thanks

Blog Entries

Re: time code in video editing

Hi,
    To imprint on a camera original is a big no - no you wouldn't be able to get rid of it. The client's copy (for viewing or finished on their choice of media) can have a TC window burn. Naturally, keep a clean Edited Master and extra copy with the window burn for yourself.

Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with nle software, so I'm not sure how you could insert a window.
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

Blog Entries

An interesting question. To some extent it depends on how accurate the timecode needs to be. If it needs to be frame-accurate it might be a bit tricky. If it only needs to be accurate to around a second or less then you might have more options.

Basically you need to create a video clip of a time counter in the correct format. Once you have this, place it in your Premiere timeline in a track above the main video. You will probably need to crop and position the counter clip.

The real question is how to create the counter clip. At the most basic level you could shoot some sort of timepiece and frame it as nicely as possible. However even the best effort is likely to look a bit odd - ideally you want a clip which looks digitally-made. You could attempt to make one yourself or see if you can find something on the Internet. Here's an example to get you started:
    http://www.fotosearch.com/EYW729/ev00341/
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Thank you Mr.dave

Jeff

I also have Storm, but am no longer using Premier.

I use Edius, which has an option when ouputing the timeline
    to record the timecode. I use it often for customers who want
    to review the output before the final is created.

I'd be surprised if Premier doesn't offer a similar option as Edius.

Jeff

Blog Entries

Not Premiere, but I did some investigating and it can be done with After Effects. Go to Effect > Video > Timecode.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Thanks, Dave,

Hopefully in next version of Premiere we await this feature as in Edius where the timecode could be imprinted on the final video.

Blog Entries

Unfortunately I wouldn't be too optimistic. Adobe likes to reserve certain features for it's "other" applications to encourage people to buy them. You won't see Illustrator's features incorporated into Photoshop, and I don't think we'll see After Effects or Audition features in Premiere.

On the plus side it shouldn't be too hard to make a timecode video clip available for free download. I'll put it on my to-do list.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Blog Entries

I've had a play with this today and come up with some video clips which you should be able to use. You can see them here:
    http://www.mediacollege.com/downloads/video/timecode/

These are simple 160x40 displays which can be added to your editing project and placed wherever you like in the frame. There are a few caveats:

- I haven't had time to test them all yet. I tested the PAL versions and they seemed to work well.
    - Living in the world of PAL I haven't had to deal with the drop-frame thing much before. Frankly I don't know how you guys deal with it . I'm not sure how well the NTSC versions will work so I'd appreciate any feedback.
    - I've only got 1-minute and 20-minute versions available, but I can provide longer version if anyone wants one. I do plan on providing 60-minute versions but I'd like to get them tested by a few people first.

PS. Thanks Jeff for reminding me that the solution is often right under your nose!
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Thanks Dave, This is working fine. Once again thanks for your nice idea.

Prabakar

Quote: Dave
    I've had a play with this today and come up with some video clips which you should be able to use. You can see them here:
    http://www.mediacollege.com/downloads/video/timecode/

These are simple 160x40 displays which can be added to your editing project and placed wherever you like in the frame. There are a few caveats:

- I haven't had time to test them all yet. I tested the PAL versions and they seemed to work well.
    - Living in the world of PAL I haven't had to deal with the drop-frame thing much before. Frankly I don't know how you guys deal with it . I'm not sure how well the NTSC versions will work so I'd appreciate any feedback.
    - I've only got 1-minute and 20-minute versions available, but I can provide longer version if anyone wants one. I do plan on providing 60-minute versions but I'd like to get them tested by a few people first.

PS. Thanks Jeff for reminding me that the solution is often right under your nose!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast