monitor color bleed

Hello!
    I just bought a monitor JVC-90PSN and I connected it with a BNC cable to my camera Canon XM2. The monitor is giving me some kind of color bleed and banding.
    Maybe someone knows how I can solve this problem or give me an idea what is going on?
    Thank you in advance.

Blog Entries

Re: monitor color bleed

Andrea,
    Is there a particular color that bleeds or is just random? Does the color that bleeds go outside of the boundaries of where it should be containted or does it appear to shift left or right? Is it safe too assume that you are just shooting normal scenes (people, indoor, outdoor etc...) rather than doing any animation?

Many ccds do not reproduce high chroma colors very well. However if you try a different video source, like a VHS or DVD, with intense colors, how does that look on your new monitor?

In any case, if you feel like your camera is giving you problems, contact the manufacturer since they may be aware of the problem. If you feel it's your monitor, you're probably still under warranty for an exchange. Bring a tape that produces the color bleed and test it out during the exchange to verify that the problem is not duplicated.
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

Hello SC358,
    Thanks for your quick reaction. The problem I have is with the video monitor.
    The effect is a lot less visible when I connect it to a VHS or a TV-set but the camera image (Sony Hi8 and Canon DV both) is terrible. Strong colors on the subject make horizontal color bands in the same hue that move as the subject moves. It is as if the cameras saturate the image. B&W image is OK.
    I bought the monitor second-hand and have no warranty nor a userís manual. There were also color stains on the image but degaussing took care of those.

Blog Entries

Ok, well that kind of clarifies things. It was my understanding that your monitor was brand new (not new to you ). If it's really old, most likely the crt is gassy and can't be repaired. Before all you really needed to do was just replace the crt but your better off finding a reliable second hand.
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.