Large hit site streaming live video... HELP

Ok I have a large hit site with 20 cameras and more then 20 users on each camera. I use Axis camera servers that only allow 20 users. So I used some code they provided and ftp the video to my server and send it from there just using activeX and a secondary alt link using java. I can't use another viewer because some companies block them. I have enough bandwidth that the video looks great when I stream it, but will all the users I have to FTP (or do I). The FTP makes it way too choppy and not clean at all. Who can help me??? There has to be a way to stream from my site to a host server copmapny and have the ens users pick it up from there right? I really need an answer on this

Blog Entries

Re: Large hit site streaming live video... HELP

Can you clarify this - you send the video stream via FTP from your Axis computer to a web server, and your users see the video from the web server? If so, then your users won't need FTP, they will just need whatever plugin your system requires.

I've looked at the Axis documentation and the following page seems to cover your situation:
    http://www.axis.com/techsup/cam_serv..._video_iis.htm
    You've probably already seen this documentation but it looks like IE/ActiveX is required by the user.

I wonder how fast the connection is between your Axis computer and the server. This is what could be causing the choppiness.

Do you have a URL? This sort of thing is always easier to comment on if we can see what you're talking about.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

I actually have multiple sites each has it's own bandwidth. I have plenty of upstream because the video looks great when I stream all the camera/servers. It's just I can't have everyone pull the video from the site at the same time. So I use that code you saw in that tech link. I have no problem getting the video to the end users it just doesn't look good. It's a secure site so I can't show you the video I know that makes it tough.

I guess my question is. Is there a way to stream the video from my camera/servers to my hosting server and have the end users get it from there, instead of having to FTP the video from my servers to the hosting server. I believe the FTP is what causing the very choppy motion. If I can stream all the camera/servers directly to the end user when there is only a few users shouldn't I be able to stream it to my server and then somehow buffer that and stream it to the end user without FTP. Is there some software out there that does that, without paying a video hosting company thousands of dollars?

Blog Entries

I'm afraid I don't know if there's a way to stream your video between servers instead of FTP. I would probably ask the folks at Axis if it's possible.

One thing which did grab my attention is the fact that you're using a secure site. I don't know exactly how this fits in with your streaming but I do know that anything done through a secure site requires considerable extra processing by the server. If your video is being accessed via a SSH page I would be suspicious that this could be adding to the problem.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Hi Dave!

Thanks for trying. I actually have the problem with or without it being secure. I have gone to axis and they didn't have a solution other then the text they said to use. It works it's just not the result I was hoping for.

thanks again.