Joshua
    I have a Bose acoustimass 15 Series II 5.1 speaker system and bose gave me an upgrade to 6.1. I'm looking for a basic reciever in either onkyo or harmon kardon. Right now I'm debating between onkyo sr502b and harmon & kardon avr140. I'm not such an audo viz to decide on the features. All i can see is onkyo has 75 watts output per channel whereas h&k has 40 watts output per channel. Can anyone suggest me what to buy ???

Thanks in advacne

onkyo

If you would like to know which one that I personaly think is better, its the onkyo simply becuase i own an Onkyo amp and its very good, but just check on the harmon kardon amp's specs as well on Onkyo amp's specs to see which one you want based on features they have and see which one will suit you best. Also, one thing to wacth out for is prices becuase some manufactuers charge not that much to make a product cheap but then the retailers jack the price way up, just watch out for that and make sure ur getting a fair price. Then, just choose an amp based on specs and price that you like and then thats the better one for you. Hope this helps...

Re: What Reciever do I buy?

Quote: Joshua
    I have a Bose acoustimass 15 Series II 5.1 speaker system and bose gave me an upgrade to 6.1. I'm looking for a basic reciever in either onkyo or harmon kardon. Right now I'm debating between onkyo sr502b and harmon & kardon avr140. I'm not such an audo viz to decide on the features. All i can see is onkyo has 75 watts output per channel whereas h&k has 40 watts output per channel. Can anyone suggest me what to buy ???

Thanks in advacne
    Check the speaker manuel and/or the Bose Web Site for what receiver/amplifier features that work best with that array of speakers. In particular, what are the speaker power requirements [speaker wattage requirements]. In this day and age, 40 watts per channel is low output; however, a check at the Bose site reveals that the latest version of those speakers will handle a range of 10 to 200 watts per channel. Personally I would shoot for at least 100 watts per channel output with any receiver/amplifier I would buy. That output can be obtained fairly cheaply. Neither would I look only at Onkyo or Harmon-Kardon products. Look around the Crutchfield site since they usually list more verbose specifications than others for receivers and other audio equipment. You don't have to buy there unless you choose such action.
    Gene