Capturing from a HD/DV Camcorder

I am new to editing video myself, even though I have got it done from professional studios.. I have got a new PC (Pentium, 200GB HDD, 1GBRAM) and am planning to get the new sony HD 1HCE handy cam. Since it is a DB handy cam, can i directly dump the stuff I record. Will I need a capture card or a video card (MAtrox etc). What is the need for a video card (MAtrox, nvidia etc . .). I have a integrated video card. Will that do ? If I get Adobe Premiere, a Firewire port and a DVD burner will the setup be complete or do I need anything more. Any info on this is highle appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Robin
    Last edited by robinkreuben; 2nd Dec 2005 at 14:37.

Blog Entries

Re: Capturing from a HD/DV Camcorder

Your Firewire card (AKA i-LINK) will do the trick. You can dump DV and HDV footage through the Firewire cable. It sounds like you have it all under control
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Hi Dave,

Thanks a lot for your reply. I remember reading somewhere that a good Video card helps in easy rendering of transitions, effects and compression during output of the edited movie. So is that I will just need to wait longer for the final compressed output incase I dont have a good video card ?

Thanks again,
    Robin

Blog Entries

Yes, the worst thing that can happen is that you might have to wait a bit longer. Perhaps I'm being too optimistic but I don't actually see that as being much of a problem. The computer I'm working on right now has a Radeon 9200 - a nice enough card but not exactly top-of-the-line, and I don't find transition rendering to be a time-consumer.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com