Natalia
    hi. i'd really like to get some opinions on what people think about drug related crimes and moral panic.
    There are 2 sides to the question of whether the tabloids and general media outlets DELIBERATELY create moral panic for their audience.
    What do you think and why?

eg) if you saw one of the following headlines on the front page does it create moral panic for you in any way. how does it make you feel/affect you if at all?
    1. "Cocaine use continuing to rise”
    2. “Crack epidemic”
    3. “Britain’s drug habit”
    4. “Mother’s targeted”
    5. “Police raids tackle drug crime”
    6. “drugs gang members sent to jail”
    Thank you!

Re: Drug related crimes

Personally, that sort of headline makes me yawn.

Blog Entries

Certainly doesn't provoke any sort of panic in me. I don't like seeing headlines like that, but at the same time I know that there's a lot of misinformation about drug use/abuse in the media so I don't take it too seriously.

I don't think the media deliberately sets out to create panic, but I have no doubt they are happy to take advantage of any fear which is already there.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Blog Entries

If it was written by a journalist whose work I'm familiar with, I'd read with concerned interest. There's no need to panic if I'm reading - headlines are just eye grabbers for me.
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.