need help about HD editing systems? hope you Dave could provide with infos

Hi, I'm planing to buy a HD editing computer I am aware that this is very expensive solution but still determined to do it.

What is HD-SDI card ( I have got some infos but I find my self still ignorant)?

And if HD VTR does not have a HD-SDI card installed or simply doesn't support how can I capture my shootings HD uncompressed 10bit?

Do I have to make my GY-HD100 JVC VTR? knowing that this camera have uncompressed output or using HD-SDI cards as a third party that would be hooked betwen HD NLE system and camera/VTR?

Note someone of you would say that you seem to know about HD-SDI I'm still confused it's just what I read from site on the net.

That was first concern my second concern I would appreciate your help in this matter especially to those who have experience with PC vs MAC and HD platforms.

Well, I'm trying to buy a platform to edit HD uncompressed formats 10 bit, I looked Final Cut Pro, Matrox Axio and as you know the differences are quite visible due to so-called software-based and hardware-based I just can't convince my self that Final Cut Pro can work real-time as much as Matrox Axio do than if that true why buying a 10.000 dollar of Axio card plus Computer instead buying Final Cut pro and Computer together about 7.000 Dollar? even far more including Black Magic Solutions.

2. What do you thing in multimedia processing your personal view is it much more robust AMD Opteron dual-processors 2.0 with dual core or Quad-Core from MAC?
    I almost forgot something I had some talking with Promax and they are saying that due to extremely fast processors there is no need anymore board accelerators or whatever but I don't think that Matrox is so "stupid" to release such an expensive card knowing that MAC will compete them.

Blog Entries

Re: need help about HD editing systems? hope you Dave could provide with infos

Quote: koku
    What is HD-SDI card ( I have got some infos but I find my self still ignorant)? And if HD VTR does not have a HD-SDI card installed or simply doesn't support how can I capture my shootings HD uncompressed 10bit?

Do I have to make my GY-HD100 JVC VTR? knowing that this camera have uncompressed output or using HD-SDI cards as a third party that would be hooked betwen HD NLE system and camera/VTR?
    The HD-SDI card is what accepts the i/o (input/output) format signal, High Definition-Serial Digital Interface. It's an option manufacturers use for those who want the machine but are not HD ready. Without this card, you could not record or output an HD signal. Even though this is a different format, the parallel situation is still the same as; needing to play and record a PAL tape in an NTSC world - you can't do it unless you have the equipment.

If you use your camera as a vtr, please realize your camera will perform double duty. The heads and gears will wear out twice as fast (or faster) so the question is, if double duty is worth having your camera down quicker?

Imho, pc vs mac, for multimedia purposes only, I would go with MAC, every other purpose would be pc.
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

Bob

I think this is the type of card you are looking for:

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/hd/

HD-SDI is basically uncompressed high definition signal recording. To capture high definition video uncompressed will take a whomping system. Among other things, you'll need a ming-boggling RAID Array of hard disk drives (mind-boggling both in terms of speed/bandwidth and capicity). I'd go PC, because you would basically have to custom build the machine (that's why I build my own PCs - for flexibility).

Editing, using Cineform's visually lossless intermediate codec would be far, far more cost effective. You can learn about capturing uncompressed 720/60p from the HD100U, directly to 10bit Cineform Intermediate files on their website:

http://www.cineform.com/

Bob

Another thought.

If you want a better quality (overall) finished video to show, when all is said and done, it would probably be more cost effective to get a higher quality camcorder. You might want to look at the Panasonics (Varicam maybe?).