2x XLR to stereo connector

Hi all,
    I've perused the wiring tutorials and also searched this forum, but I haven't found the exact answer I need. I'm looking to wire up a small box to go from 2 female XLR connectors to a single stereo 1/8" connector for connecting a pair of mics to a single stereo input. It appears to me that all I need to do is jumper both of the XLRs -VEs to GND and then connect the L +VE to tip and R +VE to ring (or is it the other way around, i always mix them up until I get into the test phase). The mics are Nak CM-300s with battery power and I don't use any phantom power so I don't need to worry about that, but I'm not 100% positive that this is the best hookup method. I'm kicking around the idea of running the XLRs to a PCB in a balanced config and then combing the L+/-VE to L 1/8" and R+/-VE to R 1/8". Any suggestions/corrections/comments? I will be recording the 29th-31st at the moe. concerts in Asheville, NC and will offer up copies of the shows to anyone who offers help and wants copies. Thanks all.

Blog Entries

Re: 2x XLR to stereo connector

Hi MattDunn,
    Creating a Y-cable regardless of it's connector type has it's purpose. In this particular posting of yours, it would be best not to combine 2 microphones via cables. They should run separately to the mixing board to avoid at all cost mic cancellation but mostly for control. People's voice dynamics are different or they may hold mics differently - the audio operator must always have control on each microphone or each audio source.

An ounce of prevention is worth more than
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

Re: 2x XLR to stereo connector

SC358,
    Thanks for the reply. I just re-read my post and realized I left out some important information. I am in no way involved the band I will be recording. They allow audience members to bring their own recording gear to shows and set it up near the bands SBD. My setup consist of a 12' Bogen lighting stand with microphone adapter. On top of that sits a T-bar on which both microphones are placed in a stereo configuration. I then run the cables down the stand and record to a portable minidisc. I'm all too aware of freq cancelation. I'm planning on having some sort of USB or 1394 input for my iBook in the next couple of months so this is really just a temp fix to try out the new mics I purchased and see how they sound. I'm looking at a few different inputs, but they all will have independent control for each mic. So really, I just need advice for an illadvised quick fix. Thanks. :-D