audio production

Hi
    I need to be able to record good quality sound for my webpage, so how would i go about this?

I need to be able to record and stream and also maybe mix stuff into the background.

What equipment would i need?

Thanx

Re: audio production

anyone?

Blog Entries

Well, it's a very broad question and you haven't given us much information about what you already have and what you want to achieve. For example, recording a simple voiceover is a lot different to recording a band.

The short answer to the question "What do I need to record?" is "A microphone and some recording software".

The more information you can provide, the better your chances of getting good advice.

What's the website?
    What is the sound content?
    How big is the audience and what are their expectations?
    What experience do you have?
    When you say you want to stream, do you mean a live stream (in which case you don't actually need to record at all) or do you want to record sound files for later playback on the web page?
    Is the mixing to be done in real time or pre-edited?
    etc etc
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Hi
    Ok, info. I want to record just audio clips for my website but i may move on to something like a band.

I plan to stream live and put recorded tracks on their.

The website isn't set up yet as i want to get some tracks done before i upload it.

I doubt the audience will be that big, maybe 500 clicks to the site a month if that.

Blog Entries

I think your first step is to find two things:

(1) Good recording/editing software. Pretty much any audio software will allow you to mix tracks together. I use Adobe Audition but only because it comes with the video editor I use. It's a fine package but I would have a good look around at other options.

(2) A good microphone - don't skimp on this. If you're new to this sort of thing, read the sections about mics in our audio tutorials to see which sort of mic will be best. For voice work, a good hand-held dynamic mic will be fine and give you a versatile mic which can be used for other things as well.

Live streaming is a lot more complex than pre-recorded stuff. Have a look at our streaming video tutorials to get the general idea - it works the same as streaming audio.

I would strongly recommend getting up and running with pre-recorded stuff first before tackling live streaming.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...703150-8086866

Is this ok for the microphone?

Thanx

P.s.
    thanx for the previous advice.

anyone?

Blog Entries

I'm assuming that you don't have a lot of money to throw around, in which case you won't be looking at a top-quality mic. To be honest I don't know much about very cheap mics so I can't say exactly how good or bad that mic will be.

You'll notice that it's specs are a lot lower than professional mics, for example, it's frequency response would be considered poor by most standards.

I think my advice is that it's not going to make a lot of difference in that price range. You might as well just buy any old mic so that one will be fine. However if you're looking for good-quality audio then you'll need to save up and spend a lot more money.

If you want to know how much you'll need to spend to get into the pro's league, have a look for a Shure SM57 or SM58. These have long been considered good professional workhorses at a reasonable price.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Hi
    I don't really want to go into the pro's league as i am 14 and i don't want to invest into this yet as i don't know how sucessful my site is going to be.

As long as this is going to ok for live audio then im happy then if my site is becoming popular then i may decided to invest.

If i did decide to do that what sort fop price am i looking at and any links tot he equipment?

Thanx Dave