Help with Wide Screen, pls, Dave

Hi everybody,

Would you please help me with Wide Screen Effect in Adobe Premier? I don't know how to put the black 2 lines (top and botton) on video. I captured in Wide Screen project and the end I dont know how to get in it 2 black lines.

Thanks a lot

Blog Entries

Re: Help with Wide Screen, pls, Dave

If I read your message correctly, you have some 16x9 widescreen footage which you wish to import into a standard 4x3 project. You want to show the whole frame of the widescreen footage by using the letterbox format (black bars above and below the footage).

The best way to do this is to import the widescreen footage, place it on the timeline, then use the scale effect (Effect Controls > Motion > Scale) to reduce the size of the footage. Drop it from 100% to around 40% and you'll see it fit nicely into the 4x3 frame with the black bars.

You don't actually "place" the black bars into the footage. By reducing the size of the footage the black background becomes visible underneath the footage (at the top and bottom).
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Hi Dave

Thanks Dave for your reply, but I opened the project 16x9 (Widecreen) I imported my 4x3 video onto this project and now I need to get black bars on this video.

The way that you show me I can't do because I can't find in Effect Control-Motion-Scale. May be I am not using Matrox RTX 100, I use the basic option of Adobe Premier Pro and this is the reason? But I think that Adobe Premier Pro should have this option anyway?
    What you think?

Thanks a lot, Dave

Blog Entries

Okay, so you're going the other way round. In this case you won't ever get horizontal bars at the top and bottom, you'll get vertical bars at the left and right. This should happen automatically when you import 4x3 footage into a 16x9 project.

You may still have to resize the imported footage to fit the screen. The scale option is found in the Effect Controls Window under Motion.

Sorry I have to go to work now so I can't write any more detailed instructions. I'll check back later.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Ok, Dave thanks a lot.
    Sorry for your time.

Blog Entries

No need to apologise, I like talking about this stuff.

I had some downtime at work today and I updated our Aspect Ratio pages. There's a page on converting 4:3 to 16:9.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com