Thread: Image Matte Key

Image Matte Key

I had recorded with my sony camcorder 2 videos. One with a friend lying in the floor with his arm in the ground, and another one with the same background with nobody.

What i want to achieve is simple. Just a cut off arm in the ground. To achieve that i would start inserting the video with my friend in the top layer and the video with nobody (just the background) below.

I built a mask (white in the part of the arm i want to show/black around this part). I had considered a safe area because the arm moves along the video, so i put white in the target area plus some space (safe area)

I had inserted Image Matte Key Effect in the top layer, and set Composite Us to MATTE LUMA.

Ok, now i got what i want. But there is one problem. The black part of the mask that is supposed to NOT show up, is appearing in the screen a little bit opaque (let's say around 33% opacity).

So the head of my friend is appearing blowing the effect i want to achieve.

What can i do?

Re: Image Matte Key

I had used Garbage key and that fix my problem.

But now i want to give a "burn effect" in my cut off arm. What can i use it to achieve that effect?

Blog Entries

Glad to hear you sorted the first problem out. Unfortunately I can't think of any simple way to get the burn effect without purchasing a plugin. There are certainly plugins available which do burn effects but I can't vouch for their effectiveness.

The only other way would be to rotoscope the video (paint the effect on frame-by-frame). This is time-consuming but at least it's free. And if you're good at this sort of thing, it gives you complete control.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

what's the best way to rotoscope the video in premiere?

Blog Entries

Export the video clip as a filmstrip then do the drawing in Photoshop. Sorry I don't have time to write more detailed instructions now but I'll try to get a tutorial done very soon.

Do you have Photoshop?
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Dave,

I do have photoshop and i am familiar with it. I had exported the filmstrip, open in PSP CS 2 and changed all my frames. Now what do i do?
    Export to filmstrip format again and import into Premiere? So after that i put in top layer of my video?

I did understand already. Thanks.

Just an observation... It might have a way to automate this process. I mean, i changed the first frame of the flm, select it, copy and paste in others frames. But the paste is not in the same position, i have to adjust manually.

Is there a way to do a change in a single frame of the flm, copy and paste in the same position in all the others frames in PSP?

Thanks, that would help a lot.
    Last edited by traven; 13th Jan 2006 at 14:57.