Streaming Computer

Dave can you tell me what can kinda stuff should buy to build computer for streaming a live game which maybe hold about 20 pepole at 550 K .I would like to recommend the stuff i should buy in order to make this really good.

Second question dave should i make my own Streaming Program or use Windows server 2003.

Blog Entries

Re: Streaming Computer

Hi Sasan,

To be honest I don't have enough experience with online gaming to talk sensibly about it. However my experience with video streaming is that the hardware you're streaming from isn't usually a huge issue as long as it's fairly current. I've streamed video very successfully from relatively old computers.

The main thing is the software and connection speed/quality. There's no point having a supercomputer with an average connection.

I certainly wouldn't bother trying to make your own streaming solution unless you have a very good reason to do so. There should be something out there that meets your needs already. I also wouldn't use a Windows server under any circumstances whatsoever but that's just my personal preference (I would try to find a Linux solution).

This probably isn't much help really
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Dave can you give me some informtion about Linux or Unix cuz I dont have that much experience in those stuf.

Blog Entries

Well, it's a huge area and there's lots of learning to do. A simple Google search gives you some of the main portals to get started: http://www.google.com/search?q=linux

If you want to go the Linux way you'll need to have some stamina because it takes some effort. IMO it's worth it though.

This is where I usually sermonize a bit . The following is not aimed at you Sasan - you've already shown a willingness to learn. It's just some general observations...

I often see young people ask how to get started in the server/gaming/streaming business. The usual question is something like "I want to get a server up and running by this time next week - can someone tell me how to do it?". I usually answer by saying "Wake up, smell the coffee and get realistic. It takes years to learn this stuff properly. Start by reading this page and take it from there. Slowly."

It's ironic that the people who are least patient are the youngest ones, i.e. the ones with the most time available. Teenagers are shockers - they want it all to happen right now and they get annoyed when more experienced people tell them to take it slowly.

My advice to everyone wanting to get into the server business is to go very, very slowly.

Anyway, enough lecturing. Good luck Sasan and have fun learning.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com