Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Filming Inside A Moving Vehicle

Hi! Me and my classmates recently started a student project, that's producing a short film. So one of the scene involve filming in a moving car. To be more precise, it's the camera person sits at the front seats and facing the back passenger seats. How to shoot this scene without being shaky? I've once think of strapping the camera onto the front seat but it will be too near the actors. Tripod wouldn't help because it's too big to fit in. Can you give some advice? Thanks!

BTW: We are using Sony DSR - PD170P DVcam.

Bob

Re: Filming Inside A Moving Vehicle

What camcorder will you be using? (make/model)

Bob

You might be able to use a cheap tripod, by only extending two legs a short distance, to sit on the front seat, and the third leg to the floor in front of the front seat.

I'm going to be doing the same, probably shooting through the front windshield. I'd be interested in what you come up with!

I'm also thinking about a "bumper-cam" and roof-cam. For that, I'm going to try a firewire camera, but not sure if the quality will be good enough. We'll see!

-Dave

from the fridge

I did a video for uni that needed a lot of video from inside of the car. I was shooting out of the front windscreen. Initially i used a tripod wedged in the back seats and taped to the passenger seat, until it fell over when i actually started driving!!!

Luckily for me, my car was old and "hackable" I ended up bending a flat peice of metal into a platform and screwing it to the rear parcel shelf. while it made some holes in the wood, it did make for nice stable video.

Well, I have a different look at it. If you look at movies now day, for example Borne Supremecy, the director of that movie wanted raw footage to make the viewer feel like they were in the car. Depending on what kind of shot you are doing, just holding it would be great. But, I will tell you the best thing you can do for $14 dollars. This is a stabilizer that I made that works perfectly!!!! Here is the link to the materials you need, and how to make it. If you have any questions please feel free to write back, or email me at derek@timelessportraits.net.

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~johnny/steadycam/

GREAT STABILIZER, and EASY to make!!!

To make it easier for your cameraperson, who, as I understand, is sitting in the front passenger seat facing the back seat with the camera pointing at the back seat, try this:

Remove the headrest from the two front seats, if it is possible in your car. Some cars can, others can't.

Also, if you only want to film the actors' faces (like for a conversation), slide the passenger seat forward and recline the back as much as possible.

Espresso

A wide angle lens adaptor might help if that is available, so then you will get more of the scene in without having to be so far away. Other than that like has been mentioned before you could go for a handheld look which can sometimes give a better effect than very stable, but that depends on they way you want the scene to look.

BiGG

Steadicam. Make one for under $20.00
    Here is a link. http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~johnny/steadycam/

The wide angle lense is also a good idea. Good luck.

I doubt that the cheap steadicam would work well in a car, it's far too tall.

Now, I didn't experiment with this, and it works well for the stability of the shot. if your car has good shocks (doesn't shake much when you hit small bumps in the road) then it works to have a partially unfolded tripod set up on the floor in front of the passenger seat. I imagine you could do this in the back too, just slide the passenger seat forward.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast