Convert YUV to RGB?

Hi all,

I'm a bit of a newb when it comes to component video in general. However, I'm an I.T. professional and love shooting with my video camera, so I'm a fast learner.

I recently purchased a Panasonic BT-M1310Y color, rack-mountable broadcast monitor (circa 1993) second-hand from eBay. I wanted to use this monitor as a "monitor" for when I'm shooting video on my Panasonic PV-GS150 camera.

Obviously, I couldn't connect the camera directly to my monitor because the monitor has 3 BNC inputs on it (R, G, and B) and also uses a Sync cable. So, I needed to convert the signal and generate a Sync, and I did some (i.e., limited) research and then bought a brand new DataVideo DAC-2.

However, the DAC-2 outputs signal as Y U(B-Y) V(R-Y) (all BNC connectors), but I need to "convert" this signal to the RGB inputs on the back of the monitor (BNC as well).

Any ideas? Am I missing something here? TIA...

Blog Entries

Re: Convert YUV to RGB?

Hi Chewbode,
    You haven't missed anything - you have the wrong converter .
    Imho, you're better off cutting your losses, resell the DAC-2 and purchase the right converter (composite video (or S-video) to RGB component). Double conversion can lead to other problems.

Lots of luck!
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

Re: Convert YUV to RGB?

Drat! That's what I was afraid of. Can anyone recommend a converter that will do this for a reasonable price (sub-$500)? I can output from my camera as composite (RCA connector) or DV (Firewire connector). I'd like to take that to RGB component (BNC).

The flip side would be to get a new monitor and not use this Panasonic. Any suggestions there would be appreciated too!

Thanks to anyone who could help!