Thread: Google Video

Blog Entries

Google Video

Well I've had enough of a look around the new Google video service (http://video.google.com) to get an impression. It pains me to say it's not all good. Not by a long way.

The good:

There's a huge range of videos from popular TV shows to amateur offerings.
    The search works well.
    The prices are very reasonable.
    Videos are delivered with Flash (personal preference but I like it). Previews work well.

The bad:

There is far, far too much rubbish. This is the flipside of allowing anyone to upload anything they like with no standards control other than filtering objectionable material. In the amateur (AKA "popular") category I quickly got tired of wasting time on videos with absolutely no watchability. I'm serious -- pages and pages of unwatchable junk. If this is the future of community video then I'll stick to established sites which make some attempt to control quality.

To make matters worse, the same videos are duplicated endlessly. Look through a few pages of the popular section and you'll see the same videos showing up again and again -- taking up valuable space, time and bandwidth.

In the paid department, the catalogue is far from complete. I got excited about downloading Star Trek episodes, only to find they have a total of about 10 episodes available.

There is no directory structure to speak of. The only way to find videos is to search - which is fine if you know exactly what you want, but there's no practical way to browse like you would at a video store.

The variety of ownership/rental/copy-protection schemes is a bit confusing and frustrating. However I can live with it and I can see why it's there.

Only Windows 2000 or Windows XP are supported. This is normal for new Google features - expect to see other platforms supported in the future.

Conclusion:

Google doesn't always hit the ground running and I'm not writing this service off. Google is adaptable and they do listen to customer feedback. I expect them to improve a lot.

At this stage though, there isn't much about Google Video which is better than other video providers... and quite a bit which is worse.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Snoopy

Re: Google Video

Can anyone tell me the point of the random videos? I went there today and saw stuff like a property for sale in some town I'd never heard of. Who would be interested in that? It's not like it even had contact details if you were interested.

It's totally lame. I couldn't find anything worth watching.

Digital Pimps Video

Quality control?... Sounds like a bad idea.. the whole point of a good video hosting service is it hosts your video untill someone(plural) complains to have it taken off. If its a good video it will make popular or hopefully someone else will send you the link.. Without all the crap theres no point to the good stuff. The diamonds in the rough. like this one http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...&q=bored+dolls

Is it crap?, Is it Art? its up to me.. the viewer. If someone had not allowed it on I couldnt make that judgement. Oh and random is RANDOM.. its how you find the gold!!! its a gamble!

Here check out my 130+ videos.. nothings crap to me.
    http://video.google.com/videosearch?...ge=1&lv=0&so=1

Blog Entries

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on some points. I would prefer to visit a video site where someone has weeded out the rubbish and duplicate clips to save myself a lot of wasted time. If anyone else wants to spend their day watching videos of paint drying, I'm not going to stop them.

If popularity votes could work to get better videos to the top then that's fine. I certainly hope it will happen in time. Maybe it already has - I haven't been back to Google Video since I reviewed it. When I visited it for the review, I waded though about two dozen pages of videos that weren't even attempting to be interesting. It was like a whole bunch of test clips - of no possible interest to anyone. Shots of the floor and things like that.

The clips you refer to are different - all of them seem to have been made with some attempt at providing entertainment. I have no problem with that, I do have a problem Google displaying a video of a random dog eating it's dinner as being "popular".

In the end, I'm not saying these videos shouldn't be allowed. I'm simply offering my review on the quality of said videos. And the last time I checked, the quality of most video clips was excruciatingly poor. I personally would prefer to view a selection of videos which had passed some sort of test to get rid of unwatchable and duplicate footage.

Quote: Digital Pimps Video
    Without all the crap theres no point to the good stuff
    Sorry, I don't buy that at all. This isn't about Yin and Yang. I don't feel the need to hire rubbish videos from the video store just to make the good ones seem good, and I see no need to watch a bunch of dribble on the internet just to add balance to the good ones.

Each to their own, but I'll just have the good ones thanks.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

I am with Dave on this one.
    I hope that Google eventually catalogs these videos into categories, just like we have for text. I realize that the content creators may give their content inappropriate names to “spam” viewers, so I am hoping that newer technologies can help us out here. Such technologies would allow video sort and search by what is said, gestures rather than by the label text the videographer chooses to use. I understand the University of Edinburgh is working on this new technology.

Copperman
    San Marcos, CA

Dear Dave,

it's amazing to see you answer so many different topics,
    to see you enter into so many different realms of video, audio, .....

I'll probably become your admirer.
    Do you ever sleep?

Libor

p.s. Thank you for the guides and tutorials on video shooting.
    It is a piece of good work to explain all those steps in such a simple way.

Blog Entries

Thanks Libor, I've gone all blushy.

No, I don't sleep much.

Regarding Google Video, it has already improved a lot. At least most of the absolute rubbish seems to have been pushed further down the rankings.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com