Building Encoding & Editing workstation..How much is enough?

I need to build/buy a PC workstation to capture analog composite video/audio in for a small public access tv studio. How much computer is enough and how much is overkill. I am on a budget.

We recently went to MPEG-2 playout after years playing from S-VHS.

We'll send video and audio to the workstation from our DA's.
    After encoding, I want to use MPEG trim editor to trim off unwanted pre-roll and post-roll. Then copy the finished file to MPEG-2 server via gigabit LAN and also burn DVD for producer to leave with. I have been told that I want to use, at a minimum, hardware that is as good or better than this: AMD (not P4) 3.0 gHz or better, PCI-Exp graphics card with at least 128 mb ram, at least 1GB RAM, Gigabit ethernet, a 10K rpm Raptor 120GB SATA hard drive, DVD-R/+R/RW drive and Nero software, a Hapaggue WinTV-250 PVR for capture, a quality power supply of 350+ Watts, extra cooling fan or two .
    Time after the production is important. I can't have the producer sitting and waiting for hours for rendering or DVD authoring. Most of these studio shows are 30 min to 60 minutes.
    That is the core hardware that I think that we need. Do I need more? What type or brand of compnents are good enough without being way more than what is necessary for the job?
    I'd be thankful for suggestions or feedback.

Blog Entries

Re: Building Encoding & Editing workstation..How much is enough?

IMO the specs you quoted will be fine. I tend to tell people not to get too concerned with hardware specs as long as you have a reasonably current computer. Not everyone agrees with me but I don't thing it's necessary to own a supercomputer to edit video. Nice, but not necessary.

Of course the better your hardware, the faster your rendering and other tasks will be. If rendering time is a big concern then you might have to think bigger.

It could also be worth considering a separate rendering computer. If you can send edited files to another computer to render while you continue working on your main computer, this can help productivity quite a lot. The rendering computer may not need to be particularly high-spec to achieve good productivity. However this only works in certain situations and may not work very well in your situation.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com