Blog Entries

Turn the TV off (not just standby)!

"Britons waste the equivalent of around two power stations' worth of electricity each year by leaving TV sets and other gadgets on standby."
    Full story:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/low/science/nature/4620350.stm

I've never really understood the point of standby. And our reliance on visual feedback is so extreme that we need a little red light to tell us that the appliance isn't turned on!?

Just turn the thing off!
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Blog Entries

Re: Turn the TV off (not just standby)!

I had no idea there was so much energy being wasted (and people wonder why their energy bill is going up??)

I think I can shed some light on the Standby power - it's really a way for the crt to get a quick startup. Prior to this, the tube would take time to heat up and show a picture. In this case, the heater of the tube is on just enough so that when you turned on your set, you could watch almost immediately.

So with this much power being wasted - do we really need to be in a hurry to sit in front of the tube? Have we become so impatient that a minute of our time is worth more than power on 24/7?
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

Need Help

I need help configuring the MCMP. Is there anyone who can help?

Blog Entries
    I've answered your thread in the MCMP support forum.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

and i ALWAYS turn any appliance off the red light makes me nervous

Red light means that the TV is no longer showing an image without me moving from my bed at night! It is suprising that leaving it on Standby uses the same amount of electricity...

Red light

I also heard that leaving the screens on stand by reduces their life period
    becasue the current running though the screen affects the screens. I always turn my monitors off at night or when im away for longer than 10 -15 mins

Well I can't say I've ever had a TV break on me and I leave them on standby all the time... Not any more though, I'm enviro-concious now lol

Although I am very strict abt leaving appliances and power on in office (minus stuff like the dry cab), I've got to confess I'm one of the culprits as I usually leave the TV on to 'lull' myself to self while setting the self-timer.

I guess I'll just read a book...
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore