edit controller question

i am looking into buying a edit controller, but i know nothing about it. i searched this web site found out some info, but there are some things i dont understand. the edit controllers have those wires with a bunch of pins in them. and i cant find a vcr in my house that has something that would contect to that. is there a speacle type of vcr i have to buy? and if so where could i get one? thanx

Blog Entries

Re: edit controller question

Unfortunately you do need a special type of VCR to use with an edit controller. What's more, it's not really a feature that you see much these days because most editing is done with computers - there's not much market for consumer-level tape editing.

If you really want to edit using tape machines, your best bet might be to look for a second-hand editing system. There might be someone out there wanting to sell the machines and controller all together.

There are two main tape editing systems in the consumer market: Panasonic's 5-pin system (I forget if it has a specific name) and Sony's LANC system. Each uses a proprietary system of cables and protocols.

I still have my old Panasonic HS1000 which is a great S-VHS machine. It has a built-in edit controller with on-screen display. If you can find one of these machines in good order it would be worth a look.

On the other hand, if you're at all serious about editing it would be a good idea to look into computer-based editing. Honestly, it's so much better than tape editing. Unless you have a very good reason to use tape editing then computer editing is the way to go.

See our editing tutorials for more info.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

i dont think im going to bother with all that stuff now. i am going to have to get the software for the computer i guess, thanx.

Blog Entries

Good move
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com