Juan Fernando Mansilla

Amplifier Standards

Greetings,

I need to install a sound system in a conference room, I am using RS4-EZ speakers from SoundTube. The specifications tell me that I have different transformer options which are: 0.31 - 20 W (25, 70.7 & 100 V)

Which one should I use? And what do they mean? I know that these are standards (U.S. 70.7V and International 100V), but how do I choose in order to get the best performance.

I will apprecciate any help or information on this subject.

Thanks

David

Re: Amplifier Standards

Your amplifier will determine which transformer you should use. If you don't already have an amplifier(s), then you should consider how many speakers you want to hook up and how long the speaker wire leads will be before you purchase an amplifier. In general, if you want to use very long speaker wire runs (e.g., longer than 25 feet or so) and/or you want to use more than two speakers, you should consider getting a 70V amplifier. They are designed to power multiple speakers through longer wires than a conventional amplifier. The speakers you have are nice because you should be able to hook them up to any available amplifier type by choosing the proper terminals and/or connector settings. You will select the speaker transformer watts depending on the wattage rating of your amplifier--in general you want the total watts drawn by all of your speakers to be about half the wattage rating of the amp.

If you already have an amplifier, then you will need to use the speaker connections that correspond to the amplifier's output. If it is a conventional amp (i.e., it doesn't have a 24V, 70V, or 100V output), you will use the 8 ohm speaker connection option, but in this case you shouldn't run more than two speakers off of the amp without installing an intermediate speaker distribution unit. One example of this is the Niles SVL-4 (www.nilesaudio.com), but there are other options.