Video inside a house.

I own a Virtual tour business, and film the inside of houses before they go on the market to buy. I havn't been doing this very long, and the one problem I have is when i film a room with windows, when I get to the widows the rest of the room goes dark while the widows stay very bright. Is there a way to get the windows so they are dark, and the rest of the room light? Thanks

Blog Entries

Re: Video inside a house.

Not quite - the windows will look very bright but that's the compromise you have to make in this situation. There's no practical way to have the windows as well as the room correctly exposed (in theory it's possible but certainly not practical).

Anyway, you need to master your manual iris:
    How to use the manual iris
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Blog Entries

If possible, pull down the shades or blinds.

If you want to be able to see out the window yet be within the lighting conditions of the interior, then you'll have to invest in sheets of Neutral Density Filters. You can cover the entire window or doorway. This can be costly depending on how many you need.

Or you can tape black plastic cutouts (the plastic bags that's for garbage disposal) for the size of the windowpane.. And the last thing I can think of - shoot at night.
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

Blog Entries

Yeah, good post SC358 - nice to have you back! I was actually thinking about this today and thought I might have been a bit hasty in saying it's not at all practical. I was assuming you're in a "fast-and-dirty" shooting situation where you're on a strict timetable and don't have time to muck around. That might be the case - I don't know how much time you have available on each shoot.

One of the guys at work bought some fine black mesh for relatively cheap that works quite well. It tends to show ripples a bit but it's not too bad. Nice and lightweight, easy to carry around. We'll be using it next Saturday - I might ask where he got it from.

I still tend to think this sort of thing isn't going to be worth the effort in most situations, but then again if you have a place with a great view you might want to take the time to show it properly.

Of course the best thing you can do is take control of the manual iris. You'll be amazed at how much it improves your footage.

PS If you haven't yet mastered the manual focus, that's next
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Blog Entries

Thanks Dave! Unfortunately I've been busy moving and have been also sick during the past couple of months, so things are stablizing for me.

I have nothing against shooting down and dirty - but you get what you get and it shows. If your in business, imho, you're worth more if you set a standard for yourself as far setting conditions and making your work look good and transparent. Those who are well prepared to do their best will stand out from those whose work looks amaturish no offense, dkstaker - I haven't seen your work and I'm not trying to embarrass you either.
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

Thanks you all for your input. I actually think I have it solved. I am trying to take as little time inside a house as possible. When I was first doing this, I was trying to shoot it with a canon zr70. That was the problem. LOW END EQUIPMENT. So, I upgraded to a canon XL1s. With this camera it has the ability to adjust your apature settings, and your shutter speed. That way, I can set the shutter speed for the lighting inside the house, and then when I shoot by a window, and camera stays at that shutter speed. The window is bright, but the surrounding areas are still perfect. This has fixed the problem, and is doing wonderful. Thanks again, and if there are any more comments please post them.

DKSTAKER

Blog Entries

Well, nice going! That is really good news and a great upgrade! That's one of the few excellent cameras out there.

Have fun!
    SC358