Sin City style effects? (Newbie!)

Hey Im new.

I have a question. How can I come close to the style of effects used in the film sin city that came out last year? I like those effects and would like to replicate it.

Also, What video editing software would be the best to use?

Oh b.t.w, I searched, and couldnt find anything on this.

Kind regards
    ~ Indifferent

Re: Sin City style effects? (Newbie!)

I found this! Good enough for me. Although if someone has other links or suggestions please add them in here.

http://www.toolfarm.com/tutorials/sincity.html

Edit. This isnt working for me. Tried to download the stand alone version of the software suggested, it is a free demo, but it didnt work.

So if anyone can find anything i'd be greatfull.
    Last edited by Indifferent; 3rd Feb 2006 at 18:47.

Blog Entries

The effect where you show one colour in an otherwise greyscale image can be done in Adobe After Effects and (I believe) most other applications of a similar level. In After Effects you can use the "Leave Color" effect.

and welcome to the forum
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Thanks for the welcome. Im quite new to this, although ive been "into" video editing or filming etc, but ive never done anything.

I was woundering if I could do it in adobe premiere?

Blog Entries

I don't think there's any practical way to do this in Premiere. Premiere doesn't really do special effects as such - Adobe prefers to keep advanced effects like this in the After Effects camp.

In theory you could rotoscope in Photoshop (i.e. apply the effect one frame at a time) but that would be insanely slow. It's an option if you have a short clip and lots of spare time.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

I have done this type of thing in Adobe Premiere...but it doesn't look that pretty. There's a "colour replace" effect or something like that. select the colour, and use the slider to choose the amount...play around with it like that.

I have attempted using the popular application for the colour effects, however, attaining no success.

I have finally figured that the best way to achieve this effect for me is through frame-by-frame editing in Photoshop. I feel this way, as my clip is under 3 minutes, and I have the time to create this (along with the fact that the video quality is very low). What is the fastest method to go through frames between Photoshop and Premiere?

On a side note, I have been having problems with the output quality of After Effects 7.0. The framerate is peticularly bad, whilist output quality of the same video in Premiere is excellent. Any reccomendations?
    Last edited by JRosselet; 31st Mar 2006 at 04:31.

Blog Entries

Quote: JRosselet
    What is the fastest method to go through frames between Photoshop and Premiere?
    Try exporting the video from Premiere as a Targa sequence. This creates a series of stills (one for each frame) in the TGA format which Photoshop can open.

Quote: JRosselet
    On a side note, I have been having problems with the output quality of After Effects 7.0. The framerate is peticularly bad, whilist output quality of the same video in Premiere is excellent. Any reccomendations?
    I'm guessing it's a setting somewhere in After Effects. Go through all the project and composition settings and make sure they are the same as Premiere.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Vince

Color Pass

Color Pass in Adobe Premiere 2.0 works to a certain extent....