Windows Movie Maker

Dear Sirs,

I have the following doubt: When I run the Windows Movie Maker frame by frame the following happens:

a) With the Video Format setted for NTSC: I go from one frame to the next every 0.07 seconds and 0.06 seconds.

a') In the NTSC System there are 30 frames per second and 1/30 =
    = 0.03333.... As 0.06 - 0.07 seconds ≈ 2 x 1/30, we come to the conclusion that when I click on the next frame button the Windows Movie Maker skips 2 frames.

b) With the Video Format setted for PAL: I go from one frame to the next every 0.08 seconds.

b') In the PAL System there are 25 frames per second and 1/25 = 0.04.
    As 0.08 = 2 x 1/25 we come to the conclusion that when I click on the next frame button the Windows Movie Maker skips 2 frames.

c) How do I make Windows Movie Maker skips from one frame to the next in the correct time, i.e. to skip one frame at a time, instead of skipping 2 frames at a time?

d) My Windows Movie Maker is the Version 2.1.4026.0

your sincerely / Valter R. R. Pupo

Waiter

Re: Windows Movie Maker

Forget Windows Movie Maker. You'll never be able to do anything decent with that.

Blog Entries

Re: Windows Movie Maker

Waiter may have been a bit blunt but s/he has a good point. Unfortunately you can't expect do have any real level of control with Windows Movie Maker.

I've just done some experiments with WMM and I've found that my PAL videos also advance 2 frames at a time. I have the same version (2.1.4026.0). I also see that the counter doesn't count frames at all - it counts anything less than a second as percentages of a second. Good grief .

Sorry, the bad news is that you'll need a real video editor if you want to do this (or much else).
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com