Web site help, PHP Files?

Web site help, PHP Files?
    I have been working on my website www.newvisionrealestate.net. This is where people can go in and type in a MLS # (for example on my page if you type in 12345 comes up a house, and if that number is not available, another page comes up telling the person to check the MLS #.) Anyways, I don't like the download time of my pages, takes to long for me. I have seen websites where the background stays the same, and all that changes is the text, or pictures etc. The background stays constant. Does anyone know how to do that. I usually use Macromedia Fireworks, or Director, or Dreamweaver to make my site. Any help would be great!!!

Thanks

Blog Entries

Re: Web site help, PHP Files?

The basic problem is that you're using images to create the whole web page. This will slow the pages down and has other disadvantages as well - for example, search engines will see all your pages as being completely blank so they will give you a low ranking.

The best thing you can do is learn how web pages are made with HTML. This doesn't mean you have to manually write HTML code, but a basic understanding of the correct way to make web pages will be invaluable. See our website tutorials for more details.

The pages at your site (at least the ones I could see) would be better created with tables or CSS. The text should be real text, not text made as part of an image.

You can still use background images if you like. The way to do this is have the same image which can be used on multiple pages, so the user only has to download it once. This is another reason to separate your text from the images.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Using Dreamweaver, do I just insert a image into a table, then text over it? How do I get the text where I want it?

Blog Entries

I hate to say it but there's no easy answer to your question. The reality is that you'll need to learn how HTML works before you can take control of it. This is going to take some time.

In short though, you can add a background image to a table and just enter whatever text you want over the top. Select the table and look in the properties inspector for the background image field.

One thing you will discover is that there are lots of limitations with HTML regarding how you can place and format text and other elements. Learning these limitations and how to work around them is all part of the fun. The key is to start simple, don't try to do everything with HTML that you can with creating images, and slowly build your design skills from there.

IMO Dreamweaver is the best web design tool available, but not even Dreamweaver is a substitute for understanding HTML. WYSIWG web design tools are like the automatic functions on a video camera - they work fine up to a point but if you want decent videos you need to use manual functions. Same with HTML.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com