need help with PA

Hi everyone . I'm a newbie here and hope you can help. Our band is looking for some Pa equipment. Yes we are on a budget. Here is what we have so far. A couple of older Shure 588PE mics ( which i'm told are a older version of the SM58 ) and 2 Speakers on stands and a Nady XA1100 Power amp. We have been using a electar 4 amp/mixer lined out to the NadyXA1100 but i don't want to blow that up and we need the reverb. My question is with all the mixers and effects processors out there what are your suggestions. Were looking for a monitor and a mixer with Reverb or two seperate units. We are back at square one again with a new frontman and it will be a couple of months before we gig again. But what are your recommendations for a mixer and floor monitor. thanks tribass3

Blog Entries

Re: need help with PA

Sorry I have no equipment recommendations except for non-technical in this instant. In every and all situations the budget rules what your choices are. Be patient for upcoming sales and buy the best you can afford. Bargain with the salesman when making a multiple purchase. If you find someone unattentive find someone else (or go to the manager) or another store to stay within your budget - someone else would be happy to take your money .
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

MixMan

What is your budget like? I might have some suggestions.

Jon Wolske

My first instinct when you are talking about a low budget system that is not crap, Behringer. I've used their gear for years, never had any problems. Ask some of the other bands in your area what they are using, see if they have any retailers that give good deals, I could tell you a few brands that I would stay away from, but I feel that posting their names would be wrong as I'm sure they produce quality gear that I have not yet encountered.... My band currently uses a Ymaha board, Dbx and BBE processors, QSC amps and Yamaha speakers with a Samson Subwoofer, so you don't have to stick with one thing, use what works for you! (the behringer gear I mentioned earlier is used at rehearsal and for recording as the guitar player in this band had this wonderful P.A. for gigs).

Blog Entries

Hey Jon,
    Just want to let you know by not being judgemental in areas you're not an expert in means to me you have integrity in your advices that you can give.

Hope to read more of your experiences in the future.
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

Out of 5 Behringer quad compressors and 3 Behringer Composer compressors purchased 6 years ago and used daily for live and studio broadcast I believe one half of one of the Composers still work, and I believe all the quads died a year or so ago. I guess Behringer has a place in my heart. Any one who considers their sound an investment should invest in their sound (no, I can't believe I just said that). You get exactly a little less than you pay for, so go with the big names that have proven track records. Peavey and Yamaha are the two budget brands for all things live, with the SM58s and 57s as industry standard mics. For a decent PA expect to spend a dollar per watt. (I do have a small 4-channel Behringer mixer I use for keyboards that I would rate with a Timex)
    'I think my intimate relationship with electronics started as a child when I was playing with a screwdriver and a wall plug, Doc, and...'