break into the professional video and film industry

Do you think there is a market for an e-book that would educate people on how to break into the professional video and film industry without a formal education? I started without a degree and feel grateful to have worked my way up to a General Manager position of a major Northwest company. The company I run produces several travel/adventure programs for HD television. Over the last fifteen years I have been an Editor, Director of Photography, Producer, and now a GM.
    What a lot of people donít understand is that this is a meritocratic industry that does not require the time and expense of a formal education. Iíve met many people that go to school for years to get their communications or journalism degree. They incur massive debt and then struggle to find any work at all. I have knowledge that I could share that would enable people with or without a degree to find work and stay consistently employed with top organizations.
    I am not the best or the most creative in the industry. I have just modeled successful people and read many books that I have forged into a sound game plan that has always landed me a job in the television industry. Do you think there is a market for an e-book that would educate people on how to break into the professional video and film industry without a formal education?

Blog Entries

Re: break into the professional video and film industry

I think there would be a market but my reservation is how hard it would be to make the book profitable. Unfortunately the discussions I've had with e-book authors has led me to think it's a difficult thing to make a dollar out of. E-books are relatively expensive to market but you can't charge a lot for them.

Of course, if profit isn't your main goal then you have nothing to worry about.

In any case I think the idea has some merit. I say give it a try - you could always start with a slim volume and sell it cheaply, then work on it a bit more if it sells okay.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Blog Entries

I have not seen e-books take any significant strides - not only in our technical community but just in general. I'm sure you're aware of, "the road less taken," can turn things around for some people but not to most in a general catagory. My own view is that you would be breaking ground for our industry which may pave the way for others.

Imho, to make it as profitable as I can, I'd heavily market and promote through colleges, high schools, intermediate schools, non-traditional schools and/or anywhere there are young adults.

Best of luck!
    Last edited by SC358; 2nd Mar 2006 at 12:30.
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

Hey, I saw your post and I personally think you have a good idea to work with. I am in my last year of secondary education and have read many articles on the video industry, and I think it is very hard to find info on HOW to get into the workforce instead of just finding heaps about the job description. I have very rarely ever seen e-books that are well enough advertised to get any significant audience but I think it would be a good idea to try that and also maybe publish a paperback version to sell at bookstores. It would definately be a product worth buying especially for people in my postion. Good Luck