Recording/creating the sound of wind?

I was wondering what kind of microphone and techniques I should use when recording wind. I want a short(40-80 seconds) clip for an intro of a song and I how no idea how to proceed.

For reference of what I want take for example the movie Godfather(1), the scene where the old Don(Marlon Brando) has an heart attack and dies. After he collapses it cuts to a wide shot of the garden and the wind hums. That's the kind of wind that I want. So it's basically the sound of wind in the trees/foliage. Summer wind if you will. Not the classic few chilly whiny gusts but continuous wind.

Also, it is winter time here so there is no lack on wind but the plants are all dead and the trees do not sway that freely.

Anyone done something like this before? Any tips?

ps. Walk the line(the movie about Johnny Cash) has the best sound engineering ever.

Blog Entries

Re: Recording/creating the sound of wind?

In this particular case, I'd prefer to be in a very secluded area to avoid traffic and other ambient people noise. A uni-directional mic rather than an omni would work better so that it could be pointed towards the wind (and maybe away from you so that your breathing is not picked up ). You may want to experiment with and without a wind screen on the mic also. Make sure you have a good recording level, if it's too low you won't be able to hear it well enough, at least you can lower the playback.

As for the brushing of the leaves, you'll have to record that indoors and lay that over as sfx also since you don't have any foliage at this time. Just as a suggestion, get some carrots with the green stalks still on them, make sure they're dry and see if swishing them around (not on) the mic seems more to your liking. You'll really need to use a lot of imagination to find ways to imitate natural sounds. I do remember a foley artist squeezing or pressing potato chips to imitate someone walking over dried leaves for an outdoor scene.

Just think - there are people being paid big bucks to do this kind of work. Life can be very good....
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

Sunnibon

Quote: Iknownothing
    I was wondering what kind of microphone and techniques I should use when recording wind. I want a short(40-80 seconds) clip for an intro of a song and I how no idea how to proceed.

Anyone done something like this before? Any tips?
    Forget recording actual wind - you will never get anything close to good quality for a sound fx. Instead, try different techniques of actually blowing into the mic - you can get much cleaner sounds in this manner.

Blog Entries

Of course you can always try blowing into a mic - but again your record level will be up high and any ambient noise will also be picked up. Maybe blowing and being outdoors would be sufficient.

Good luck with experimenting!
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

MixMan

Try using white noise, hi/lo filters and sweep across lo-mids to hi's

MixMan

Quote: MixMan
    Try using white noise, hi/lo filters and sweep across lo-mids to hi's

......and augment/attenuate the amplitude

Blog Entries

Hey MixMan -

I like that idea. I'll even try that myself.
    SC358

juz use a synthisizer

itll work fine if its highly programmable

or get the ni komplete

the ambience can be programmed to sound natural bakgrounds more than a mic will ever