Bitrates and config for live streaming

Hi Im new here; ive looking over the forums and tutorials which have been very helpful.

I have a cable 2mb upload 2mb download internet connection, In anothe dedicated server with another connection we are making a tournament for a pc game Call of Dutty 2, recently I have researched about streaming video and made a first live transmision using windows media encoder at 320x240 at a bit rate of 170kb including sound at 40fps capture; key frame interval 8s, and a 5s buffer.

I wanted to know how could I improve the performance and quality for this tipe of broadcast, because game is very fps intense, resolution used on game was 640x480 low details so PC wont stress while broadcasting.

thanks for any help

Re: Bitrates and config for live streaming

no help??

Blog Entries

Speaking for myself, I tend to avoid gaming questions because it's not my fort. I stay away from gaming because it has a habit of eating my life .

40FPS sounds like a lot. If you think it's necessary that's fine but it would be the first thing I'd look at. If you could get away with 30FPS that would help.

Keyframes at 8 seconds seems like the other extreme. You could probably increase the image quality by having more frequent keyframes.

But then again, gaming isn't my thing so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Quote: Dave
    Speaking for myself, I tend to avoid gaming questions because it's not my fort. I stay away from gaming because it has a habit of eating my life .

40FPS sounds like a lot. If you think it's necessary that's fine but it would be the first thing I'd look at. If you could get away with 30FPS that would help.

Keyframes at 8 seconds seems like the other extreme. You could probably increase the image quality by having more frequent keyframes.

But then again, gaming isn't my thing so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about.
    thanks tried lowering fps until video becomes "choppy" and at 20 is almost the same as 20fps, so I left it at 20fps bitrate combined audio video is now 180k, I think audio is 20k mono.

Will try to lower keyframes to see if there is any improvement. thanks a lot.

lowered keyframes to 4 and no image gain, I even think that quality lowered.

Blog Entries

O well, I guess that suggestion was a waste of time.

To some extend you'll probably have to accept that 2MB isn't high-quality video so compromises will have to be made somewhere. I hope you managed to get some improvement by dropping the frame rate. Assuming you don't have control over the actual video content, I don't really have any more suggestions.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Quote: Dave
    O well, I guess that suggestion was a waste of time.

To some extend you'll probably have to accept that 2MB isn't high-quality video so compromises will have to be made somewhere. I hope you managed to get some improvement by dropping the frame rate. Assuming you don't have control over the actual video content, I don't really have any more suggestions.
    thx anyway for your help!