HQ PC-output video capture howto?

Hello,

I need to capture a recording of normal desktop activity on a Linux machine for a presentation, in hight quality. I suspect I need some mid-range hardware and I'm hoping someone here can give advice.

I've already tried capturing using the video out port on the video card with a low-end (~$99) video encoder (to avi) attached to that, but the resultion and colour quality was too low. I've also tried a direct desktop recording program and a VMware session, but again the quality is lacking.

I expect a need a semi-pro gizmo that can take VGA or DVI as input and generate a high quality encoded stream from that, preferably in ogg/Theora format, but I'm sure anything of high enough quality will do; DVD output perhaps.

I'd be grateful for any advice on this I'm not even sure what search term to use in google to find such a thing ...

For more about my projects see: http://www.ubuntu.com/ and https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DapperExampleContent

Re: HQ PC-output video capture howto?

Try this program, Fraps. It's a very easy to use screen capture program. The new version (2.7.2 on site) is able to capture screen resolutions up to 1024x728. Previous versions could only capture in 640x480. I'd actually suggest 800x600 or 640x480, as it will be easier to scale to fit a normal-sized video.

Thanks, I'll try that but I think it only solves half my problem. It only runs on Windows and I want tro capture a Linux session, so I have to either run Linux in a virtual machine or accross a VNC session.

The VNC session will create some lag, which will likely be visible in the video and the VMware session will have VMware stuff on the screen that I'll then need to edit away somehow afterwards.

I guess what I'd really like is Fraps for Linux.

try searching Google for "Free Screen Capture". you may be able to find something. vary the search with Linux, program, software, etc.