Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Drawing circle outline in Photoshop

Hey all

Having a frustrating time making a non-filled circle appear over the top of text in Photoshop!!! Any help would be muchly appreciated.

I'm trying to create a logo - consisiting of text that is circled by a line. Think of the text as the planet Saturn, and the line circling this as the planet's rings... this is the effect required.

- My first issue was creating an unfilled circle in Adobe Photoshop 7 - it seems to only allow creating a new layer that has completely filled circles. (And the help stinks.)

- My solution was to draw the filled circle, then insert a smaller circle coloured white inside this one to hollow it out; then use a white square to cut out the back (or physically, the top) portion.

- But then I cannot insert the text, so that it sits behind the half-circle I've made. I'm not sure how to insert 'transparent' circles and squares as opposed to white ones so that it is a simple matter of putting the text layer in between the original circle, and the others cutting out the unwanted fill.
    And if you save it as an image, then the background defaults to white, so you can't blend in new text to this image.

Is there some way to:
    1. Simply draw a hollow circle! And easily define line width, edges, etc.
    2. Make the circle the 'hard' way as I did, group all those layers together, then make all the white areas (ie. the background, and the white square and circle) transparent...
    And this way I will have a transparent layer with the outlined semi-circle only, which I can then put on top of a white-background layer, containing the text?

Seemed SO simple to do when I started out!!! Egads

Much appreciated

- DrSB

PS I'm so desperate I'm nearly turning to MSPaint!

Blog Entries

Re: Drawing circle outline in Photoshop

I'm afraid you lost me a bit in all the detail there - can you upload the file so we can see it?

Unfortunately you have discovered what many others before you have found - Photoshop is not actually designed to be an illustration application. It's an image editing application, i.e. better for working with existing images. To create images from scratch you would ideally use something like Adobe Illustrator.

The way you have been making circles in Photoshop is the same way I do it.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Re: Drawing circle outline in Photoshop

You need to draw a circle with out a fill, keep it on its own layer (you should do this for all other images you make as well, makes for easy editing)

fantastic
    OR try using the custom shape tool, then hitting the drop down menu under "shape" and scroll to the bottom till you see the circle, square, etc. That will create an outline or a circle or square or whatever you want.

Sorry for posting in an inactive thread, but I just wanted to point out a way I found of getting around this problem. I have used the method mentioned here in the past, of drawing a circle within a circle and then making the inside circle transparent. However my preferred method is to draw the circle in MS Paint, cut and paste it into a new Photoshop window; cut out the fill and outside of the circle with the magic eraser; and then finally just cut and paste it into which ever document you need it in. Then you can use Photoshop's wonderful Layers feature to scale the circle to whatever size you need it, and then position it where you want it.

I thought I might add this for those who found this thread through Google as I did. Some of these methods seem pretty convoluted for something which is quite easy. As FX77 alluded to, you want the 'stroke' of the circle and not the 'fill'. Easiest way is to define a circle with the circle selection tool, and then Edit -> Stroke. It's that easy. You'd probably choose to make the Location of the stroke to be Inside. You can also draw a circle normally with a fill, add a stroke and then make the fill 0% opacity but this extra step is not necessary. Hope this helps.

Cheers,
    Daz.

Holy back from the dead thread
    Manoni Productions
    Pass me another beer...You are still ugly!

All of the above solutions seemed a little complicated to me.

Two answers:

1. Do it in Illustrator.

2. If you must use Photoshop, draw a circle vector shape, using the Shape tool (U). Make its Fill (not its Opacity) 0, then use the Layer Styles (fx) toggle on the Layers menu to add a stroke.

That'll give you pixel-perfect control over the stroke, and you can scale it, stretch it, rotate it, do whatever you want, without degrading the image (cos it's a vector).

All of this is available in PS7.

Vector shapes and Layer Styles are my best friends in Photoshop.

This portal is really doing a great job by providing information regarding photoshop,as i am new to photoshop it helps me alot.

Ryan
    =================================
    http://www.lmltrade.com

To draw unfilled circle is ezee

Hi
    First I dont know what type of logo and image you want to creat.
    but I can help you in making a unfilled circle in photoshop.
    simply take ellipse tool and drag it with holding shift key for any size you want, in anywhere in your document. Set its fill property to "0". Ok
    Now go to menus- Layer --> Layer Style --> Stroke. A property window will open. now in that window you can set cirle's line properties as per your requirment (like: line size, position, color etc.).
    Now your unfilled circle is ready for use.
    if you want to fill it then set its fill property to 100.
    now u can write your text over the circle.
    I think this is the solutions of your problem.

Cheers
    Saqib

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast