Soul musician Isaac Hayes, who voices the character Chef on TV's South Park, has resigned from the show. His reason is South Park's "inappropriate ridicule" of religion.

I never thought I'd say it but I think he has a point. In these tense days I think we all need to take a deep breath and accept that we all have to make compromises in order to work towards peace. The free-speech advocates will argue otherwise but I don't think it's about people's "right" to say whatever they like, it's about whether people choose to say things they know will be offensive to others.

On the other hand, there's an interesting twist to Isaac Hayes' departure. South Park has always satirised religion - it was actually based on a short film mocking Jesus. It's a bit coincidental that after ten years Isaac Hayes is leaving after the show had a dig at his own religion - Scientology.

Back to the issue at hand, is it too much to ask for TV producers to lay off religion for a while? Just give it a bit of a rest. It can't be that hard can it? There's plenty of other funny stuff going on, and politicians are always begging to be satirized.