Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

how to microphone a big drumset

hey hi well i'm new at this so my question is the follows...

i have a big drumset and i would like to put some microphones on it i have no idea what it is that i need i have nothing yet ? can you tell me what are the items i need and which ones you will recomend that will includ microphones, amps and............ ohh well you known better than me please HELP ME OUT

Re: how to microphone a big drumset

What size is the kit? What is your budget? Otherwise it is common to mic the snare, the hi-hat, the kick drum separately (3 mics and stands). Mic the toms two at a time, just above the rims but still over both heads. Use one or two mics on boom stands above the kit (overheads) to capture the cymbals. Mic kits are available, so it may be worthwhile to check them out.
    Standard mics are SM57's for snare, hi-hat, toms, but there are literally hundreds to choose from. Again, budget?
    'I think my intimate relationship with electronics started as a child when I was playing with a screwdriver and a wall plug, Doc, and...'

Blog Entries

I used Sure SM57s for years and they were great (just make sure you never hit them though - they are a little fragile compared to some other mics).

Make sure you get a proper kick drum mic. A normal vocal-range mic will be no good - you need a mic which handles the power and low frequencies of the bass drum.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

thanks for answered me the drumset it pretty huge it is about 20 drums and 21 cymbal it's a double bass set up it has toms octobans timbales tamborines i mean it's big thats why i was concern aobut how to put mic on it the budget won't be any trouble i would like to get the best if i could since i am going full time in this bussines any ways i really aprecciate it take care and let me know

Blog Entries

WOW!!!
    I've never heard or seen such a setup.... can you take pictures and display it here with mics when your done?!?!?! It would really be mind boggling to see.
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

Jon Wolske

Hmmmm, Sounds like you need your own soundguy to take along with you... With the right budget you could mic everything up seperately and run a mixed signal to the FOH, or if you are playing big enough venues, you could let them handle it... Gonna need a lot of mics and a lot of cable...

i do not how to post pictures of the drumset over in this website, but if you want to see pictures just go to http://www.myspace.com/redretor i will add some more later thanks

Well, I can only say, nice kit. I don't think mine is quite that big, but I've been close at times. If budget is no problem, here's what I use alot.

Kicks-Electrovoice EV N/D868's and AKG D112's for recording, just EV's live.

Shure Beta 56A's for snares, HH, toms, again one per pair on toms.

Shure KSM137 matched stereo pairs for overheads, vibes, octobans, bell and block sets, anything with an octave or more range. (yes, phasing is a big issue)

SM 57's for Timbales, Congas, gong, small handheld stuff.

D112's for timpani.

Royer SF1 for delicate stuff. (studio only, too expensive for the road)

This is all a little much, and I usually deal with the submixes myself, but if the house system is worthy it sounds great. I mix on a Soundcraft Ghost, subgrouping all the toms together Left-Right on subs 1 & 2, all the "light" percussion on 3 & 4, all the "heavy" percussion on 5&6, cymbles on 7&8, and send these to FOH. I have 2 snares and 2 kicks, which go directly to FOH, and they do LCR trickswith it all, sending me a LCR feed back to my in-ears, where I add my own FX for my amusement.
    'I think my intimate relationship with electronics started as a child when I was playing with a screwdriver and a wall plug, Doc, and...'

nice kit

With a kit of that size you should do some research on what will work for you. Too many choices. If you have the resources for that much hardware I am sure there is a very nice mic package for your taste.

Yes, there are some really good ones, but they never come with enough mics. But you can usually make a deal EV or AKG, Or even Shure to get the additional mics for a little less as a custom package. Sweetwater does this also. However, I found that the tom mics don't do my bells and vibes justice, so I use the others, and I just like to,well, play around with lots of mics.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast